Chapter 21- Speak Now

How did she get here? Why was Mona here? This was extremely confusing.

"What are you doing here, Spencer? Who's the kid?" she asked. People need to realize that I hate being called a kid.
Do it one more time, Mona. I dare you. See what it brings you.

"Your worst nightmare," I said evilly. "Now, back away from my friend, or else."

"Or else what?" she mocked.

"Or else these old blood stains will be replaced with yours!" I always carried a pocket knife with me, in case of an emergency. I got out and showed her that I was serious. She got the message and backed away.

It had been so long since I'd seen her. How many years has it been? I was only seven when she was taken away from me.

Flashback

I was packing my stuff into one the small bags the orphanage provided the children. My items were simple enough: a big wad of money, one of two of the outfits I owned (one of which I was wearing at the time), a flashlight, and a pocket knife... just in case.

Suddenly, something tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around and saw my best friend in the whole world, Janet Vanderwaal.

"Iris?" she yawned. "What are you doing?"

"Shh, Janet, be quiet!" I whispered.
She nodded. "I'm leaving. I'll finally be free!"

"Leaving? B-But why?"

"Janet, I can't take it anymore. The people here are loco!"

"Loco?"

"It's Spanish for crazy. I heard one of the older kids say it during lessons."

"Cool! But, Iris, what about me? You're not really going to leave me here alone, are you?"

"Of course not, Janet. How could I leave you behind? You're the only person I've actually loved."

"Really?"

"Cross my heart. Come with me, Janet! We can be free and have a new family together! We can be real sisters!"

She thought for a moment. "You promise?"

"Pinky promise." Her small pinky finger intertwined with mine. "Let's do it!" she whispered excitedly.

She got her own bag and put her own things in it: her favorite stuffed animal Ziggy the puppy, her baby blanket, and a flashlight of her own. At 4:30 that morning, we jumped out of the window and fell to the ground. We ran as fast as we could... but it wasn't enough.

Flashback Over

I wish I could have done something. I should've told her to stay there. I should've told her so much... especially goodbye.

But now, here she was, laying right in front of me. Her eyes were closed, but I could still visualize the sparkle in her green eyes, waiting to go on an adventure.

Slowly, they opened. She blinked a few times, adjusting to her surroundings. The first thing she saw was me. Her green eyes squinted, like she was trying to remember something.

Then, her eyes widened. "It's you..." she said in a whisper.

"Y-Yeah. It's me," I said with tears in my eyes. I walked over to her and helped her up. She hugged me. I started to cry. She did too. My true best friend was with me again.

"I hate to interrupt this sappy moment, but how do you know my sister?" Mona asked.

I broke away from Janet and looked at Mona. "We knew each other when we were little. She wasn't always your sister, Mona."

"What do you mean?"

"You may have adopted her, but I knew her before being a Vanderwaal or DiLaurentis was important."

"In case you haven't noticed, she was a Vanderwaal before we adopted her."

"I know. I don't care."

"Neither do I," Janet piped up. Her voice had become raspier since the last time I heard it.

"What was that, Janet?"

"Iris was my friend. And, if she'll have me... she still is."

"Of course I will." We hugged again.

"Iris," Spencer called. "We should probably go. Alison is probably suspicious of us by now."

I didn't want to leave, but I knew we had too. "Janet..."

"Iris, next time, don't take eight years to talk to me," she joked.

I laughed. "I won't." Spencer grabbed my hand and we went back to her car.

"So, how you really know her?"

I told her everything.

(Hey y'all! I'm so sorry I haven't updated in what must have felt like forever! Anyway, how do you think Janet got taken away from Iris? And what about Ali? What if she finds out? (evil laugh) Anyway, post your theories below! Love y'all!) :)

Kisses, -S-

P.S. YOU GUYS GOT THIS STORY TO 14.4K!! WE SHOULD CELEBRATE!! How do you want to celebrate? Comment!