First Performance Night (Chapter 13)

FRIDAY...

I sat on the swings, watching the beautiful sunrise- today was the day. My very first performance night for my very own dance studio- I couldn't believe it. I also knew, I couldn't face it.

I just couldn't. I was far too nervous to do this, I gulped taking a deep breath before playing another song on my earbuds, 'Eyes Wide Open' started to play and I grinned closing my eyes and leaning my head back. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see Riker standing there- he smiled and sat down in the swing next to me.

"How'd you know I'd be here?" I asked turning the music off and taking my earbuds out.

"I just figured you would be." He shrugged looking out at the park.

I stared down at the ground, "I'm scared Rike."

(Riker's P.O.V.)

I looked over at my girlfriend and sighed, "I know you are." I replied reaching over and taking her hand, she looked up at me tears in her eyes. I knew what she was afraid of. She was scared of what people would say- what they would think, what all the tabloids would read the next day. I knew because I had seen it before. I had seen all the hate and the gossip she had gotten when we weren't together- and then when'd we got back together, things had gotten worse, yes, we had touched on it briefly after getting back together, but- no, we never actually sat down and discussed it.

I gulped and looked away, "Leah- we never talked about what the media thought or said about us and our relationship with one another, because I guess in the midst of everything, I had pushed it aside, and I guess, I had assumed you had too. But you haven't... have you?" She was staring out at the park now as I glanced at her- she shook her head.

"Then, tell me, why does it matter so much to you, what they think of us?"

"I don't know." She shrugged finally looking at me. Her words came out only in a whisper.

"Why is it so important to you?"

"I don't know." She shrugged again- and then went back to staring at the ground, the tears were now falling down both our cheeks.

"Then tell me, what does the media change between us? Just because one person makes up a lie, starts a rumor about us- and everyone else believes it- even though I know it's not true and you know it's not true, why would you read that? Hmm? Is there maybe some place in your heart that you might actually believe those lies? Huh?"

"I don't know!" She cried out in sobs, I went to her holding her close as she sobbed.

Finally she calmed down and looked up at me, I held her face in between my hands as she grabbed my arms, I looked her straight in the face, "It shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks about you and me and our relationship. What DOES matter is what you think, and what I think. Not them. Just you. And me. Okay princess? Don't you dare think any different, understand me?" She nodded, and I kissed her passionately.

"You have to know that I love you with all my heart, and the reason why I'm telling you this is because, I don't like see you hurting like this, and I don't want to see you hurting like this. Social media destroys relationships. It's not right. I love you too much to let that happen okay? Now are you ready to go?" Again, she nodded, and so I stood and reached out my hand for her to take, I put my arm around her as we started to walk along, and she wrapped her arms around my torso.