Chapter 27

With her confidence restored with the new clothes, Dani headed out to the bailey, intent on continuing her training and practice. She started at archery, prefer that activity anyway. She got furtive glances sent her way, but she ignored them, enjoying the pull on her muscles and the satisfaction as she hit her target. By now, she hit center mass practically every time.

She smiled, wondering who would win if she went up against the legendary Robin Hood. For good measure, she moved further back, trying to make more of a challenge. Releasing the arrow, it hit slightly left of center. Good, area for improvement.

"What are you wearing?" Lancelot said.

Dani lowered the blow, wondering what he had against it. "Do you like it? It was a wedding present."

Lancelot frowned. "Who gave it to you?"

"A friend. She was ever so kind."

"It's... well... I hate to say it but, it's scandalous, my queen."

Dani frowned. "I like it. It has the beauty of a gown and the practicality of braes and tunic."

"But... your legs are showing."

She looked down. "No, they're covered."

"But..."

She sighed in frustration. "Honestly, Lancelot, you were a lot more fun when you thought me a boy."

Lancelot blanched. "Please don't remind me. I was teaching you to fight with a sword. I think the only reason I still breathe is the fact that my liege is choosing to ignore that fact."

Dani laughed. "Arthur isn't like that. Besides, he seems to care for you."

"He does?"

She tried to think of a single example, but her mind blanked. Great, just when she could have used it, too. She looked at Lancelot pensively.

"And don't you even dare ask me to continue training you. He would have my head."

"Now, honestly, Lancelot. I don't know where you get these ideas."

Lancelot opened his mouth to speak, but then shook his head, turned, and ran off in the opposite direction.

"Well, I guess things have changed." She shrugged, and not feeling like archery anymore, she went back inside, looking for Arthur. Not in the Great Hall, she knocked on his office door.

"Enter," he said from the other side.

"Hello," she said, smiling at him from around the door.

"Danielle." He stood, reached for her and kissed her temple. "What brings you to me now?"

"Well, I wanted to know what you expected of me, what my duties shall be? I don't want to step on anyone's toes?"

"You don't, eh?" He smirked, but stepped back before frowning at her. "What are you wearing?"

She twirled around. "Do you like it? It's a wedding gift from a friend."

"It's..."

"Please don't say it's scandalous. That's what Lancelot said about it." She pouted, though she'd never been one to pout.

"Oh, no, Danielle. Don't be like that." He drew her into his arms, his massive body heat engulfing her along with his strength. He pulled back a moment, running his hand along the material on her arm. "It's really soft. What's it made out of?"

"I don't know, but it's wonderful."

"It's certainly material fit for a queen, even if the style is a bit..."