Chapter 40

Days had passed. Danielle still wouldn't leave her room, and Arthur didn't know what to do to help her. He'd encouraged Guinevere to sit with her, to try to cheer her up, but even though she wouldn't leave their chambers, she always insisted she was fine. She didn't cry after that first afternoon, and she didn't look entirely miserable either, but some of the life had dimmed from her eyes, and more than anything, Arthur wanted to bring her back to him, make her smile, or even make her chide him. Anything that brought some life to her face would do.

A knock came at the door.

"Enter."

Lancelot slipped inside, the usual confidence and energy about him lacking. "My liege," he said with a slight bow.

"Come, sit."

"Thank you." Lancelot sat, but didn't meet Arthur's eyes, seeming to dart his gaze upon every other surface.

What could make the man so nervous? "How may I help you, Lancelot? You know you can speak to me of anything."

Lancelot blinked up at him, his mouth a little agape. "I..."

Arthur waited, his hands woven in front of him on the desk, patient.

"I would like to ask for Lady Guinevere's hand in marriage. Queen Danielle suggested I should talk with you about that."

Arthur smiled. "You wish me to send a missive to King Leodegrance?"

Lancelot nodded, all the more nervous. "Yes, my liege."

"I will do so at once. And Lancelot?"

He looked Arthur in the eye. "Yes?"

"Congratulations. I'm sure everything will go smoothly. You are a good man, more than worthy of her."

Lancelot smiled, the expression brightening his entire face. "Thank you, sire."

Arthur nodded, then ushered Lancelot out of his office, the other man practically bouncing around like a puppy now that the chore was completed.

He couldn't wait to tell Danielle.

#

Morgan was over the moon with glee. The queen had not been seen in days. She would not leave her room, and based on the impressions she got from Arthur, Merlin, and Guinevere, she'd had another miscarriage. Oh, she loved when a plan proved so fruitful. She clasped her hands together in front of her, and tried not to look quite so ecstatic. She didn't want to draw attention to herself.

As an added bonus, Arthur had at times seemed subdued and ready to pummel the first person that looked at him crossly. She often wanted to pummel Mordred herself for ruining her plans when they had so recently been fixed, but seeing Arthur so angry helped ease the frustration.

Morgan did so love the chaos that ensued. It made her heart trip along in a feeling so close to love she wanted to lavish in it for a while. But plans were meant to be orchestrated and implemented, not just thought up, and they wouldn't simply take care of themselves. She danced back up to her chambers to enjoy herself in private, where she could think how next to proceed. She couldn't leave anything to chance.

#

Arthur sat at table that night with Merlin at his side. Guinevere and Lancelot sat at one of the lower tables, gazing into each others eyes like two love-struck fools, which he supposed they were. A servant had taken Danielle's meal up to her room, as had become the norm over the last few days. Arthur yearned to join her there, so that she might not be alone, so that he could bask in her presence a little, but he didn't. The kingdom couldn't have two absentee monarchs, now could it?

His gaze drifted to his sister, Morgan, for the countless time. Over the last few days, he'd noticed something... off about her. Where the rest of the castle seemed subdued, quiet, lethargic about their everyday tasks—all but Lancelot and Guinevere, of course, who alternated between concern for Danielle and joy over their newfound love—Morgan seemed upbeat, happy, at times even a little wild-eyed.

He didn't understand it, and it made him nervous. He hadn't really noticed her much since her arrival here at Camelot. While he'd invited her here hoping that they could become closer, Morgan had make herself constantly distant. She seemed to make avoidance into an art form. She seemed positively brilliant at turning any encounter into a momentary affair. Why, he'd not spoken more than a couple sentences to her at a time since she arrived.

Arthur intended to change that. He narrowed his eyes at her. He didn't know what was going on with her, but he intended to find out. It was time he found some time to truly get to know his half sister.

#

That night, Arthur slipped into his chambers without a sound. Uncertainty plagued him as he stood just inside the door. Simply get ready and slip into bed? Talk to Danielle to see how she was doing? Maybe try to get her out of her mood? He'd been on unsteady footing for days since returning home, and he hated it.

"Arthur?" Her unsteady voice called from under the covers, causing a twisting sensation in his chest.

He moved across the room, crouching at the side of the bed so that he came face to face with her. "Hi." His voice barely rose above a whisper, but it made her smile—the first smile he'd seen in days.

"Hi yourself."

"Do you need anything?"

"I'm sorry."

"No, Danielle." His voice cracked, and he cupped her face with both hands even at that awkward angle. "You have nothing to be sorry for."

She buried her face in the linens again. "I'm pretty pitiful right now, aren't I?"

"No. You haven't had it easy lately. Everyone is entitled to their moods from time to time."

"Moods. Yes, I guess that is a good way to put it."

"I've missed you."

She smiled again, and his heart lightened even further than with the last smile. "Me too."

"Will you come downstairs tomorrow? There are many things I would love to have your input on."

She smiled again, and patted the space behind her. "Just get in bed. Tomorrow will come when it does."

He nodded, and kissed her forehead. "It's good to see you smiling again."

She nodded, then let out a sigh, relaxing into him when he finally pulled her into his arms to sleep. "Good sleep, Arthur."

"Good sleep, Danielle."

#

Leodegrance sat back against the fencing, his sword still gripped in his hand, as the messenger got back on his horse and departed. He smiled. Well, Arthur certainly was a man of his word. He started tapping the flat of the sword against the wood of the fencing, wondering about the man who'd offered for his daughter's hand.

The messenger had said the man was an excellent warrior, would some day be a lord in his own right, and Arthur's first, meaning he trusted the man implicitly. He hadn't expected a response so quickly. "This could be good." He pushed up from his position, and leapt back into the fray, taking one of his men by surprise, but not by enough that he got past the man's guard. Good.

He would depart on the morrow. There was really no reason to dally. And he very much wished to meet this man who felt he was good enough for his daughter.