Ch 12: 10x Better

*August's POV*

I had Aliyah in my whip wit me and fareal I couldn't even believe it. She seem so hard to get to, it's obvious she doesn't let everybody in on ha personal life so I know I must've meant a lil sum to ha. It felt gud to know she felt like she could somewhat trust me and open up to me. I glanced over at ha a few times on the ride to my place and she was just starin out the window, silent... I know she was thinkin like hell. I knew how that felt.. my brudda died last year, he was shot and my homeboy was inda hospital right na from a gun wound. These streets are real outchea and the hood is crazy. I wanted Aliyah to stay wit me so she could relax and get a lot of that shit off ha mind but I also wanted to keep ha safe. I didn't want her to get caught up in any of the shit I'm in and I was gonna try my best to make sure she was iite. I don't wanna see Aliyah hurt anymore. She don't deserve it, she's betta den dat. We made it to Downtown, New Orleans and I rode thru the hood slow, nodding my head at my boys onda way to my crib. I pulled into the driveway, parked the car, and turned it off. I looked over at Aliyah... "Everything gone be iite ma, trust me on that." She smiled back at me and nodded her head. I popped the trunk and got all her luggage out the back and headed towards the front door.

*Aliyah's POV*

We pulled up to August's place and it looked like it didn't even belong, he lived in a nice two story house well built with white walls. I wondered how he could afford all these lavish things but I didn't ask, maybe because deep down I didn't want to know the answer. There was a chance I didn't have anything to worry about it, but there was always that doubt in me that had me feeling like August had a secret I didn't know about. But I didn't even know him like that.. So everything was still a mystery honestly, but I had plenty of time to get to know him especially since I was going to be staying with him for awhile. I smiled at the thought of this new adventure. There was so much I wanted to know about August, I wanted to get to know how he got to be the way he is today, I wanted to figure out what drew me into him so much.. I wanted to get to know him. I grabbed the one bag August left in the trunk and followed him inside the house and was in awww. His house was fully decorated, not what I expected from a guy living by himself. That's when I thought to myself.. did he ever say he lived alone? What if he lived with someone else? His mom? Nah.. maybe a roommate?

"It's just me ma.." He smiled and laughed at me.. I guess he saw the look on my face. It's crazy how he read my mind so easy. I laughed a little and followed him upstairs and he sat my stuff in the guest room. "Make yourself at home pretty lady.. this is the guest room. If ya ever need me tho my room is right up the hall. The guest bathroom is across the hall from dis room." I nodded my head and August left me in the room alone so I could unpack. I unpacked almost everything I had. I kept a couple of things in box because I didn't want to seem to comfortable. It's not like I was moving in for good. I plopped on the bed and closed my eyes and thought about everything and I felt my phone vibrate. Ughhh I pulled back into reality and unlocked my phone. 3 messages from Trey and 2 missed calls. Damn.

"Aliyah please answer my calls."

"Babygirl I'm sorry I cant be there for you right now physically but I'm still here."

"I just got word that I can leave tomorrow, I hope you're still there.

I shook my head at his messages and didn't reply to a single one or return either phone call. Trey hurt me in a way that wasn't that easy to let go. Maybe I was just being selfish. It's not like we we're a couple and he was suppose to wait on me hand and foot but I did atleast expect him to be there for me. But I guess I had to understand that he had to be there for HIS family.. I wish I still had a family to be there for.. My eyes started to water and I felt someone in my presence. I looked up and saw August in the doorway. "Is it okay if I come in ma?"

"Sure, I mean it kinda is your house." I laughed and tried to pull my tears back from coming out.

"It's okay to cry Aliyah... it's okay to hurt, aint nun to be ashamed of." He pulled me close to him and I let out a few tears on his shoulder and he rubbed my back as he held me tighter. I felt safe right where I was at, and I didn't want this feeling of comfort to go away. He pulled back a little..

"I'm about to take a shower, and put on a lil some fa dinner.. got any requests?" He smiled at me a little. He can cook? Damn...

"Surprise me." I smiled and he nodded his head at me and walked out the door. I decided to take a shower too so I got my pajamas together and went to the guest bathroom to get all cleaned up. After taking a steaming hot 20 min shower of thinking and bathing I got out and got dressed in my night clothes. I threw my hair in a messy bun and looked at my bare face that I hadn't put make up on in days.. I didn't care though and August didn't seem to care either so I left the bathroom and smelled the aroma of spicy gumbo..

I followed my senses to find where the aroma was coming from and made it to the kitchen where August was stirring up the dinner he just made.

"Ready to eat ma? I made some of my famous gumbo.. I hope you like spicy food." He flashed his pearly white teeth at me and all I could do was smile back at him.

"I love spicy food." He fixed me a bowl and we sat down at the table and ate together as we talked and got to know eachother a little better. I asked him what he does for a living and he just simply said "Self-employed". I didn't really know what to think of it or what else to say after he said that so I just kind of brushed it off. We talked more about my dad and how things used to be before he passed and we talked a little bit about his brother and he told me about how he was going to see his homeboy in the hospital that day when he accidently ran into me and my mom passing away.. I suddenly felt embarrassed for assuming he was just stalking me or being nosey when really it wasn't even his fault he went to her room in the first place. I apologized for the way I acted and he just reassured me that he understood and he was just happy I was with him right now.

I helped August clean up the dishes and he told me goodnight and told me if I needed anything he was right down the hall. I went back to new room and lied down on the bed and tried my hardest to fall asleep. I slowly drifted into sleep and shortly after I woke up in a panic sweat and in tears.. I must've had a nightmare. I wasn't used to being here either so that might have had something to do with it or maybe it was because it was my first night without my mom in my life. I didn't want to be alone but I didn't want to barge in on August or be in his personal space, he was already doing me a big favor. I tried to go back to sleep.. I tossed and turned for about an hour before I decided I couldn't sleep alone, it was too hard.

I crept down the hallway and knocked on August's door softly. No answer. I knocked again, august came to the door after a short sec with his shirt off. All the thoughts that were in my mind, disappeared. He looked so sexy with his sleepy face and low eyes.. damn. "Sorry.. I can't sleep and I had a night---" "Come in ma.." He cut me off and grabbed my arm and pulled me into his bed and held me tight. "I told you I gotchu, I'll keep you safe. You aint got nun to be afraid of. And don't feel like you're alone cause you got me, I ain goin nowea." He looked me deep in my eyes and all I could say was "Thank You." He held my chin as soon as the last word exited my mouth and pulled my face closer to his and pressed his lips against mine. My heart went CRAZY. Aside from everything horrible that was going on August made everything 10x better... And the way he kissed me I could tell he meant everything he said.