Downhill

As we headed to lunch, Mari gave me a slight saddened and apologetic frown. I knew before she even said anything that she was going to blame herself and try to distance herself a bit from me so I reassured her by grabbing her hand tightly and smiled.

"I'm glad that I have you, Mari." I said facing towards her. Mari giggled a bit and nodded.

"Same here. Do you have some people you know at lunch or something?" She asked as we headed toward a group of tables. I shrugged and faced forward without another word. We finally reached a small white table with three girls and one guy at it.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the rebels." I said laughing as we approached. The four all stared at me for a second before smiling and welcoming us to the table.

"Man haven't seen you in forever! Especially since we don't have any classes together." One of the girls said. Mari looked over to me confused.

"Oh yeah! Guys this is my girlfriend, Mari." I introduced her to the group. They each smiled a bit and then introduced themselves. The four were Riley, Steph, Conner, and Vixen. Riley is an artist and had more of a light brunette bob haircut, Steph loves to write horror stories and has medium black hair, Conner is part of the drama club and had spiked blonde hair, and Vixen is more of a science lover with long cherry colored hair. Mari smiled and then began to introduce herself.

"Wait, are you Mari Cross?" Conner asked. I held in my laughter and responded to him.

"Well, yeah. There's only one Mari in the school and this is her." Conner looked at me in disbelief.

"Damn, how'd you score such a hot lady when I still haven't had one?" He asked sadly. The whole group chuckled and soon the bell rang for the end of lunch.

"Hey I'll meet you guys at the entrance after school ok? We really need to catch up." I said before giving them my phone number. While me and Mari walked away she tugged on my shirt and looked up at me with a depressed expression.

"How do you know them?" She asked nervously. I sighed and giggled slightly.

"Lara introduced me to them a while back. At first I thought that they weren't really the type of friends that I'd hang around but they are pretty cool." I replied. Mari nodded and wrapped her arms around me.

"Remember that I'm your girlfriend ok? No flirting with others and no cheating you understand me?" She asked filled with envy.

"Yes, yes, I know. You are the only one in my heart, Mari. I promise you that because I do very much love you." I said as we headed off to our next class together. We both walked into Chemistry together with a smile. The teacher nor the students said anything to us as we entered but our assignment was already written on the whiteboard. We went off to work quietly but as you know it is difficult to do so with a loving girl beside you wanting your attention. Still we both managed to finish our work and then headed off to the rest of our classes. Finally school ended and we parted to go to our lockers and grab our stuff. Before I left though Lara stood beside me with a look of regret and sorrow.

"Hey... I'm sorry about earlier it's just... I can't keep our friendship intact ok? I just love you so much Ava..." She said. I tried to fake a smile but instead frowned.

"I'm sorry Lara, but you know I'm going out with Mari." I said. Lara nodded and sighed.

"Then, before I give up on you, I just want one thing..." She said before leaning in and forcibly kissing me. I tried to move but just the look on her face made me realize how much she hurt so I let her. Big mistake. Mari whipped around me and slapped Lara angrily.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" She asked looking at me and Lara. I looked away but Lara chuckled and grabbed my arm.

"Sorry, Mari. Looks like Ava wants me." She said. I shook my head and grabbed onto Mari quickly.

"No, no, no! She forced me into it! I couldn't get away! Please Mari believe me! I only love you!" I shouted. Mari chuckled and dumped her water on me from her bottle.

"Have fun, Ava. You and your brother are out." She said coldly before storming off. Lara wrapped her arms around me and laughed.

"Now we can be together, right?" She asked. I turned around and slapped her.

"Hell no! Stay away from me Lara! You not only ruined my relationship with Mari but you also just got me and my brother kicked out onto the streets!" I shouted before I too walked off.