Strictly Breaking the Rules

I had to get home, like right now, in this very moment. I was checking my watch for what seemed like the thousandth time. Crap! It was 4:45, meaning that both mom and dad were at home, probably waiting for me, wondering why I wasn't at home. School had ended over and hour ago, so why wasn't Adrian here yet? He always told me when he had to stay after school every morning. Then I would tell my parents were I was so I wouldn't be grounded until the day I graduate high school. I banged on the roof of my car in frustration. How could I have lost track of the time that easily? Why wasn't Adrian at my car at 3:30 like he was everyday? I pulled out my cell phone and called him, since he was the reason I wasn't at home yet.

"Yeah?" He answered, I could hear girls in the background.

"Adrian Joseph Topher." I barked into my phone. "It's almost five, where the heck are you?!"

The wind on the other line was making it difficult for me to understand what he was saying. He mumbled something incoherent and I could hear more girls. Leave it to Adrian.

"I'm in the parking lot, hurry up." I said into the phone, my voice sounding edgy.

Adrian laughed. "Chill bro, I see you."

My face twisted up in confusion 'chill bro'? He was really letting the whole high school thing get to his head. I tapped my foot furiously as soon as he was within my sight. Could the boy walk any slower? It was like he didn't have a care in the world. I blared ny horn as he got closer, signaling for him to hurry up with all of his little girls buddies, that's all they were anyway. He waved them a goodbye and I could swear all ten of those girls looked like they were about to faint. Adrian opened the car door and sat down in the passenger seat, without looking at me. His brown and dirty blonde hair had.been messed up by the wind, and his cheeks were ruddy. His body was so small and he looked so fragile, maybe that's because I can only see him as my baby brother, and nothing else. He discretely glanced at me, then back out his window, thinking he went unnoticed.He knew he had it coming from me. As I drove out of the school parking lot, I caught the glares of the girls that were with Adrian. I abruptly stopped my car and rolled down the window.

"Nothing to worry about girls." I looked each of them in the eye. "I'm just his older sister."

As I rolled up my window, I knew that their heart rates had returned to normal now that they knew I wasn't in their dumb competition. I stole a glance at my brother from the corner of my eye and shook my head. He was texting, as usual. The boy practically had more text messages than Justin Bieber received love letters on a daily basis.

"What?" He mumbled without looking up from his phone.

I rolled my eyes. There was no need for rudeness. I gripped the steering wheel and turned a sharp corner, making Adrian's face slam into the window. I laughed as he rubbed his cheeks and picked up his cell phone off the floor.

"Not funny." He ruffled his multicolored dyed hair. His green eyes were solid and angry.

"Yeah it was." I laughed, turning into our neighborhood. Time check, it was 5:04, dad us gonna kill me.

"Yeah he is." Adrian nodded his head.

What?" I said as he pulled me out of my trance.

Adrian shook his head and laughed. I gripped the steering wheel a little bit tighter. It was pretty weird how we did that exactly the same.

"You were talking out loud Maddie.". Adrian leaned back in his seat.

My face burned with embarrassment. "My bad." I hated it when I talked out loud without knowing, it was embarrassing. Even if the only person that heard me was my little brother.