So No Bueno

"So, let's elaborate on this dance project." Miranda and I had been on the phone for at least two hours. Talking.

"It's like a charity." I explained for what seemed like the millionth time. "The last couple still dancing gets a prize and we can use the rest of the money to the school. What is there not to get?"

The other line was dead silent. I walked in around my room, setting my phone down for a little to put on my pajamas in the process. My phone made a shuffle noise and I pulled it back to make sure it wasn't me. Miranda hung up out of nowhere, most likely offended by my statement. I shrugged, so what she hung up on me, I had other important things to do.

Like...well, nothing. Everything I needed to be done had been done.

I jumped on my bed and laid there for what seemed like forever until my phone vibrated, making jump up ten feet in the air. I grabbed it from under my pillow. It was from Hale. I smiled as I read the message.

R u busy?

I took a minute or two to think of a reply.

Of course.

I sent the message and his reply was almost instant.

Not n e more. Look out ur window.

Oh no. Oh nononono. It took me forever to drag my feet to my window. I didn't open it, because I knew a piercing loud alarm would sound off and is be in for it. But I had a feeling I already knew what was going to happen.

As if on cue, my phone went off, the ringtone blaring. I slammed my finger on the talk button and paused to make sure I didn't hear anyone wake up before putting my ear to the phone.

"Hello?" I whisper shouted.

"Let's go somewhere!" Hale exclaimed. I could hear his excitement through the phone.

"You must be crazy." I stated, shaking my head. "It's ten at night and you want me to sneak out?"

"First of all." He started off. "It's nine fourty-three. I hate that. And secondly, its not sneaking out. We're just going on a trip."

"I can't go!" I stomped my foot on the ground.

"Fine." He replied, just open the window."

I didn't realize I hadn't come to the window yet. I peeked over from the side, and sure enough, there he was. I tapped on the glass to get his attention.

He put his phone in his pocket and made hand movements for me to open the window. I unhooked the latches before I realized that the alarm was still on. I put up a finger to make him wait for a bit while I ran downstairs and to the alarm system.

"What's the code?" I said to myself.

Let's see. I knew it had something to do with Richard's birthday. All his passwords related to his birthdat in some way. He was born in 1970, in...March on the ninth. That was my best guess.

"Okay." I punched in 9370.

A loud beep screeched and the red light turned green, meaning that the alarm was off. I thought for sure it would wake someone up. I stood stiff in the darkness, waiting for someone to come catch me and ground me for a century, but it didn't happen.

I'm awesome.

I could go back upstairs, but walking out the front door was a better option. He wouldn't be suspecting it at all.

I opened the door, half waiting for the alarms to go off as I sprinted across the yard. Hale was still looking up at my window when I saw him.

"Hey Hale." I laughed as I walked up to him.