Fallen

Sophie grinned as she and Lochlan finished the fifth round of pick-up-sticks. Looking out the grimy window, she noticed the rain had stopped.

"Oh, look! A rainbow! Oh, it's so beautiful outside. Let's go play!"

Lochlan looked uncertain, but she managed to drag him outside.

"Oh, let's go to the park, there we'll play tag, okay? And the air is so fresh and it's so sunny and beautiful and I love it oh my gosh lets go let's go!"

Sprinting to Sweete Park with Lochlan in tow, she grinned and breathed in the fresh air. Lochlan was trying not laugh. She was just so excited about nature, when only an hour before she was terrified.

Sophie finally reached her destination and ran around, throwing her hands in the air and laughing.

"I just feel so pent up from being in that tiny place!" she exclaimed.

Lochlan frowned. "Ya mean my house?"

She stopped suddenly. "Oh - no I - I didn't mean to - sorry but -"

Lochlan chuckled. "I'm just yanking your chain. It's fine."

Sophie looked down with reddening cheeks. After a few moments, she gave him a wan smile.

"So, how 'bout that game of tag?"

He looked confused. "What is tag?"

She gasped. "You don't know what tag is? Well, you're about to be introduced to one of the most popular children's games ever."

Smiling, Sophie pulled him into the center of the park.

"Alright, so I will be it, okay? Then I have to chase you and if I touch you, or tag you, you are it and you chase me. Got it?"

"Okay, yeah."

"Ready, set... Go!"

Lochlan ran as fast as he could to the right corner of the park with Sophie not far behind him. He pivoted once reaching the end and raced diagonal, confusing her.

"You'll never catch me!" he shrieked, moving his arms for momentum.

"Wait! Lochlan, stop."

"Can't fool me with that one! I'm not letting you win that easy!"

"No! Lochlan. I'm serious. Come here. I-I found something."

Still doubting her truth, he came to a stop and made his way over to Sophie.

"What is it?"

Her chin was trembling and a small tear slid down her cheek. He quickly enveloped her in a hug.

"Sophie, what is it?" he mumbled.

She pulled away reluctantly. Pointing behind her, she softly whispered,

"Look."

And there, eyes wide open, hair and limbs splayed out on the grass, was Lana.

~*~

Lochlan screamed. Sophie shuddered and put her hands over her ears.

"Wh-o is she?" he asked, his voice cracking.

Sophie began to sob. "It's Lana, I knew it, I knew it, I never should've left her alone with him. Oh he killed her, I killed her, oh, oh."

Gulping hard, she brushed away tears.

"Lochlan, I killed her. I left her alone with him and now she's dead. It's all my fault."

He tried to reassure her but she stepped away from him with a crazed look in her eyes.

"Lochlan, I killed her. Lochlan, I killed her. Lochlan, I killed her. I KILLED HER I KILLED HER I KILLED HER." she screamed, tears pouring down her face.

Lochlan stepped back, afraid.

"Sophie...?"

She turned to face him. "She's dead. Lana's dead. The Princess is dead."

Enunciating each word, he finally understood. The girl before him was the Princess. And she was dead.

Lana was dead.