A Dream

Sophie tossed and turned that night, struggling to slip into the encasement of unconsciousness. There was one thing in her thoughts, one thing only.

Lochlan.

As soon as the King had left, she'd broken down and sobbed. She was trapped in a life she didn't want, forced to play out the role of a happy Princess.

After wiping away a few tears, a butler had opened the now unlocked door and discovered her forlorn form.

"Oh, my! We'll get you cleaned up and tucked safely in bed," he had assured, rushing toward her.

She let him lift her small figure and allowed herself to be carried into her room. Two middle-aged women dabbed at her red eyes and helped her into a soft nightgown.

"Goodnight, Sophia." The woman with warm brown eyes kissed her forehead and smiled.

"Have good dreams."

But she would not, especially after leaving the weak and wounded boy alone in a small room. He was probably moaning and thinking of her, wondering if he'd be able to get whatever he came here for.

She clutched the thick, plush sheets and breathed out heavily as a hot tear slid down her cheek. Thinking of her family in California, she whimpered.

Would she ever get home?

Finally, her mangled torrent of disconnected thoughts subsided and she slipped into a deep slumber.

~*~

A dusty grey statue was facing her. Blank eyes stared into her soul, and a cold breeze raised hairs on her arms.

The white slits faded away into shadows of color, blinking and becoming brighter and more beautiful by the second. The statue was a realistic stone creature with the body of a baby and small wisps of hair.

A tiny hand clutched a bow and arrow, both decorated with hearts.

The eyes scanned over her, popping out against the rest of the statue's body. They were a caramel brown that swirled with deep green, reminding Sophie of the murky ocean water back home.

"L-L," she stuttered, forcing the word out. He continued to stare at her, not moving an inch.

"Lochlan?"

The eyes were definitely his, but what were they doing on Cupid's body?

Suddenly, movement caught her eye and she watched as he strung the bow and aimed it at her, the muddled circles focused on his target.

Sophie couldn't move, and stared in shock as the stone arrow flew straight at her chest. As it traveled closer, the hearts became bright pinks and royal reds and the arrow itself was molded in silver.

Just as it hit her heart, the roaring waves of an ocean filled her ears. She felt a searing pain strike her and fell to her knees.

The statue's stone skin crumbled away and in place of it was the soft texture of a babe. He opened his red mouth and hollered, beginning to sob.

Tears poured from his eyes and sudden walls formed around them. Sophie panicked, yanking the arrow from her chest.

"No! I... I have to help them! They need to be saved."

The words tumbled out of her mouth, making no sense to her.

Saved? Who?

Flowing currents gushed out of the small baby's eyes and she moved away, scared. Shrill screams assaulted her ears and she ran forward, determined to shut him up for good.