Lies

"You must be mistaken," he insisted.

Lochlan shook his head. "I'm afraid we are not."

Darius was infuriated.

"Lies! Lana always comes back because she loves it here. She is the Princess and she enjoys it. Now leave my presence!"

Sophie bit her lip.

"Sir, we are telling the truth! We can even show you the site where..."

Darius's features crumpled.

"Is this true?"

She nodded. He let out a deep breath and stared evenly into her eyes.

"Take me there."

About five minutes later, they had walked briskly into the park with a red-faced King muttering to himself behind them. Sophie cleared her throat and pointed to the area where they hid the body under a rosebush.

"Over there."

The King slowly walked over to the bush, holding his breath.

With simply one glance thrown under the thorns, his eyes filled with tears and he sank to the ground.

"You were right," he mumbled. "It's her."

Sophie sorrowfully patted his back and helped him into a sitting position.

"It's okay. But we need to figure out what to do next."

He nodded and looked sadly into her deep brown eyes.

"How..."

"Struck by lightning."

Getting to his feet, he put his hand in Sophie's and pulled her in the direction of the castle.

"We need to tell Coraline."

"Um..."

"My wife."

"Oh. What about Lochlan?"

Casting an uncaring glance over in his direction, he shrugged and picked up the pace.

"Leave him."

With a guilty feeling in the pit of her stomach, Sophie reluctantly followed him up the grand stairs and into the castle.

Approaching a shifty-eyed woman positioned in the center of the grand hallway, she curiously examined the grandeur decorations and lush carpet and walls.

"Who is she," the woman snapped, glaring at Sophie.

"This is Sophie. She told me something very important that I must now pass on to you."

The Queen came close to Darius and lifted her chin.

"Very well. But after it's relayed, exterminate her from my home."

Sophie gulped at the blunt wording.

Darius nodded sharply. "As you wish."

Turning to her, the woman looked her up and down and smirked, satisfied that she was superior.

"What is it."

"Well, um, it's about your daughter. We found her out in the park and she's..."

"Dead." Darius finished for her what she could not.

The Queen's eyes widened.

"No!"

He nodded.

Whispering feverishly in his ear, she resembled a mouse with rabies. Sophie could pick up bits and pieces of her message.

"We need a new.... Expensive..... Tell the people..... Same appearance...."

To her, it seemed like they were discussing acquiring a new Lana. But - where would they get one?

Turning to her, the Queen smiled tightly. "Dearest, would you follow me for a little snack?"

She nodded, confused. Only a second before she had been trying to get rid of her.

Dragging her down the hall, Coraline yanked her into a room with a metal door and a sign hanging that said in stiff block letters:

LABRATORY. ROYAL AND HIGH-CLASS INDIVIDUALS ONLY. GAS MASK NEEDED TO ENTER.

Sophie gasped once she realized what was going on.

She was the new Lana.

And she was never going home.