Etiquette

Knock, knock, knock.

A woman with shining silver hair and swirling grey eyes opened the door. Sophie gulped and fingered her gown.

"I'm Sophie... I'm looking for Ms. Silvia?"

She nodded abruptly and opened the door wider. Peeking inside, Sophie gasped at the wondrous scene.

The large room had been set up as if a huge feast were in the making. A marble table with a cream table cloth draping over it filled the center of the room. The walls were painted a royal red, and the table was set with shining dishes and cutlery.

"She's in the back," the stranger whispered, darting away. Sophie nodded.

Soon, a young girl with rich brown locks flowing down to her waist smiled brightly.

"I'm Ms. Silvia. What do you need, Miss?"

"Um..."

Sophie's jaw had dropped and she stared, wide-eyed, at the young lady.

"What is it? Are you feeling okay?"

"Oh... Um, I'm fine. I just wasn't expecting you to be so young."

Her brow creased, and the girl frowned.

"Young?"

Her eyes suddenly lit up and she smiled, nodding to Sophie.

"Oh, I just drank a potion, that's all. One second. I'll be right back. Feel free to come on in!"

She strode to a small door in the back of the room and left the jumpy girl standing alone. Sophie curiously approached the table, gazing at intricately painted vases of colorful flowers.

Reaching out a soft hand, she touched a cool purple petal. Surprisingly, it was real. Rubbing her hand on the soft texture, she brought her fingers to her mouth and breathed in the sweet smell.

"Mmm."

The woman who had greeted Sophie and then disappeared stepped out of the door and briskly walked toward her. Her silver eyes shone with secret independence.

"Is your name Sophia?" she asked, her voice a breathy whisper.

"Yeah."

"Good. Come this way, Miss Sweete."

Sophie followed her to the door tucked into a wall.

"What is your name?"

The woman looked surprised.

"You can call me Melanie."

"Okay, Melanie."

Melanie opened the gold door and gestured for Sophie to go inside.

"Ms. Silvia is waiting."

"Okay."

She reluctantly crept into the small room. It was occupied by a mirror, a chair, and a woman.

The mysterious figure had powdery pink hair put back in a curly ponytail. Her eyes were a hot pink, and neon lipstick popped against caramel skin.

"So we meet again."

She had a small smile on her bright lips and extended a light brown hand to Sophie. She shook.

"Ms. Silvia?"

"That's me."

Rocking back and forth on her feet, Sophie gulped.

"So, um, are you here to teach me etiquette?"