Chapter Fourteen

Chapter 14 - Keeper

"Cameron!" Lindsey exclaimed as she ran down the halls to my locker. I chuckled as I watched her slide past everyone to make her way next to me. "I have great news."

What's up?

"Lucas is back from our grandparents, and he really wants to meet you," she replied, signing at the same time. "Are you available to meet him after school today?"

I'll need to check in with my dad, but I don't see why he wouldn't be, I smiled.

"Awesome! You two are going to get along so fucking well, I swear," she teased. "After today, you two will be inseparable."

Lindsey, I'm gay, remember?

Cameron, Lucas is gay. Remember? she mocked.

I rolled my eyes. Lindsey did tell me that Lucas was gay, but after what happened with Venus the other day, I didn't know what to think at this point.

"You don't look as excited as I thought," Lindsey pouted. "I thought you wanted to meet him."

I do, I nodded. Just...Venus said something weird yesterday, and you kind of reminded me of it.

What the fuck did she say to you? Lindsey glared.

Nothing like that, I quickly signed. She asked if I was dating anyone, and after I told her they would need to know sign language, she said she was glad that she was learning. That was her obviously flirting with me, right?

Lindsey narrowed her eyes on me. I've told you that she's flirting with you.

She treats you the same way, though.

Because we've known each other for years. I know her enough to know that she has never looked at Jack or treated him the way she treats and looks at you. You are so special to her! You need to realize it.

I'm special, because we're friends.

Deny it all you want. I know she likes you.

I'd rather deny it to prevent getting hurt.

"Hey, guys," Venus called out as she strutted up to my locker with Jack trailing behind her. "What's up?"

"Lucas is back in town, so Cameron is going to meet Lucas."

"Who's Lucas?" Jack asked.

"My brother. He's deaf."

"So he goes to Juergensen then, right?" Jack asked, and Lindsey nodded.

"Can we come with? I miss Lucas. It's been forever since I've talked to another artist. We need to talk about his new painting."

Lindsey looked at me, quirking her eyebrow.

I needed to remind myself that Venus was with Jack, and that meant spending time with the two of them together. As hard as it was to watch them be all lovey-dovey together, it reminded me that Venus was not an option. I had to get over her, and I hoped watching her with Jack would let reality sink in and remind me that I couldn't be with her.

Unfortunately, just watching the two always made my heartache worse.

^^^

Dad was working from home today, so I rang the doorbell before entering to let him know I was calling out to him. I motioned for Venus to sit on the couch. Jack was waiting in the car. Venus didn't want him to come in, and I was better off with him not coming inside.

Dad ran down the stairs, rubbing his eyes before he faced me. Staring at a computer screen all day did get tiring on the eyes, but he looked as if he just woke up. I hoped he didn't fall asleep on the job. I would never let him live that down.

Hey, sweetie. What's wrong? he asked.

Lindsey's brother is back in town, and she wants for the two of us to meet. Is it okay if I go over to her house? I asked.

Dad looked over at Venus on the couch and quirked an eyebrow. Why is Venus going?

She's friends with him.

Jack honked his horn, and I rolled my eyes.

"Sorry, he can be an impatient bastard at times," Venus said, signing it at the same time. She exited the house and began yelling at Jack to calm down.

She's learning sign language?

For me, I smirked.

She's a keeper, dad stated before kissing my forehead.

I wished it could have been that easy. However, due to the relationship she had with Jack, I didn't think I would have been able to have a relationship with her.