Chapter Thirty-Two

"And to think I was going to give you the spare room for your personal belongings!" Roared Jennifer.

"I never wanted to spare room--"

"Clarissa. You cannot see that boy again--or that family of his!" Jennifer shot back, interrupting Clara.

"But mother--"

"No buts!" Jennifer hissed, pointing a long finger in Clara's face. "You listen to me, young lady. I don't want you associating with that...that boy. He is rude, self centered, and--!"

"Jennifer you hardly know the boy." Léo began.

"I KNOW ENOUGH!" She yelled, and Clara flinched, stepping further away from her mother. Jennifer was beside herself, and while Clara has seen her mother angry many times, never before had she seen her this fuming.

"Now, Jen. This is enough." Léo said firmly. He gently rested his hand on Jennifer's back, his voice dropping to a soothing tone. "Darling I think it's time you get some rest. You've been on your feet all day and you know what stress can do to your body."

"I was fine until she showed up!" Jennifer all but yelled. Clara flinched again this time, but not from the volume of her mother's voice, but her words. Her mother's words crack her very soul. Clara's knees buckled beneath her and she sunk down to the kitchen floor, sobs tearing through her chest.

"Enough!" Léo said very firmly to his wife as he wrapped his arms around a hysterical Clara.

Jennifer slouched forward, her frown lessening on her forehead. "I'll take care of Clarissa. Go on now, Jen. Have Evangeline run you a hot bath." Nodding, Jennifer slowly backed away, eyes tired and sad.

"I think it's time we leave." Mrs Weasley said quietly after the family had sat in silence listening to Jennifer's loud, harsh, French words. Molly's face dropped at the sound of Clara's cries, Mr. Weasley squeezed her shoulder, an equally saddened expression on his.

"I think you're right, dear." Mr. Weasley agreed.

"We can't leave." Percy said, pain laced in his words. "I need to go in there, can't you hear? Clara needs someone." Percy walked towards the kitchen door but Bill stopped him.

"I'm sorry Perce, this is not for us to interfere. Clara doesn't deserve this but we cannot do anything for the poor girl except be there for her when we can." Bill said.

"Well, this has been lovely." Fred said as the family made their way back where they had come from moments earlier.

"Agreed." George said, walking hand in hand with a shocked Michelle.

Clara sighed as she sat down on her bed. She didn't know how she was ever going to face the Weasley's again.

Léo followed after her watching her with tired eyes and took a seat beside her step daughter, rubbing his face.

"Your mother has been under a lot of stress." Léo said. "She doesn't mean what she says, it's just her hormones talking."

"Hormones?" Clara repeated, frowning. Léo just nodded.

"It's that time of month, I guess." He said, but before he could reply Léo quickly added, "Don't tell your mother I said that." Clara just chuckled.