Chapter 4: Wide awake

CHAPTER 4: Wide Awake

(Authors note: I would like to dedicate this to a really good friend who if it weren’t for you, I would’ve stopped this story. Thanks El!)

Rowan

                 It was already eleven-thirty and I still can’t put my eyes to sleep.

                 I tried everything, facing the ceiling, facing the window and even counting the wheat patterns lining the walls. I took my iPod and placed my earphones on but the shuffle always decides to play a love song and I turned the music off with frustration.

                 Across my bed, Ariana was sleeping like a baby, her figure was to my back and her dark locks were a mess. I wonder how she deals with it every morning.

                 Ugh. The reason why I can’t sleep is because of her! I don’t know why but her presence is just so distracting. Why do you think I avoided her eyes when we first met? It was something in her face, her cerulean blue eyes that remind me of deep oceans or it could be those pink perfect lips that she uses to smile at everybody. Is it the way she talks? The way she laughs that seem to brighten up the whole room? My God… what am I thinking?

                 “Hey, you awake?”  Ariana asks softly from across the room, her back still to me.

                 She wasn’t asleep after all.

                 “Yeah.” I replied.

                 “I’m sorry.” She apologized.

                 “What for?”

                 “I know you find it uncomfortable sharing a room with me, I do too.”

                 Ariana wasn’t just uncomfortable. She was in a complete different category of uncomfortable. But it was not uncomfortable in a bad way… it was something else.

                 I stayed silent, not knowing what to say in return.

                 “Hey, can I call you Ro?” Ariana asks causing me to backtrack at her question.

                 “We’re not that close.” I say abruptly. “Don’t go giving me weird nicknames.”

                 “What? Ro is fine. Plus, it’s easier to say. It’s just one syllable.”

                 Wait, she gives people nicknames just to pronounce it easier?

                 “That’s for you to say.” I said facing away from her. “Your name is three syllables.”

                 “I let people call me Ari.” She reasons.

                 “Whatever.”

                 It was silent for thirty seconds until Ariana says, “I’m still going to call you Ro.”

                 My, she is one stubborn chick.

                 “Go to sleep.” I told her and she didn’t protest. I guess she was just as tired as I am.

                 But for some reason, I was more awake than ever.