Chapter 16 (part 2): Unplanned Adventures

CHAPTER 16 (part 2): Unplanned Adventures

(An Awesome New Year to Everyone!!!)

Ariana

Gwen Fisher is an amazing person.

The moment she dragged me out of Bread Alone hailing a cab to the heart of the city instead of CIA, I knew I was in for a crazy day. Lannie is so gonna kill me when I don't return.

I check my phone and saw it was near eleven. I gave Lannie a quick text that I'd probably come back late. She instantly called. I imagined her irritatingly tapping on the other end and decided to deal with it. Before I was able to press answer, Gwen grabbed my phone from me and shut it off. Oh Lannie sure will be pissed.

"What are you doing?" I demanded. "My best friend's probably going to kill me for not answering that phone call."

"Hey, trust me on this." Gwen tells me as she handed back my phone. "You won't enjoy this if you keep fiddling and worrying throughout the trip."

I sighed. "Gwen, c'mon. I need to go back to CIA."

"Please?" she pouts doing the puppy-dog-eyes on me. "This is just part of a bucket list I promised myself to do if I get back to New York."

I gave her an are-you-serious look.

"Everything will be on me." she promised. "It will be worth it, I swear."

And worth it it was.

Gwen's Bucket list

#1 Go to Grimaldi's and eat one whole pizza by myself

12:52PM

"Pizza for lunch?" I ask skeptically as we arrived at our destination. A small brick building tucked under the Brooklyn bridge, it's red and green sign waving customers over. Coal brick oven huh?

Gwen looked at me in disbelief. "You don't like pizza?"

"Of course I like pizza, everyone does." I say but gestured to the long line of people who were also hungry for pizza. "Except, we'd probably be able to eat when tomorrow comes with that line at large. Gwen, we have to find somewhere else to eat."

She smirks at me and says, "Watch and learn." before sauntering off to the entrance of the pizzeria and disappearing for a while. A good five minutes later, she came back with a grinning yet almost balding guy with a big stomach and a ketchup stained apron.

Gwen introduced me to Frank, a good friend of her family. Frank was the owner of Grimaldi's and due to his severe happiness (and probably a bit of Gwen's talking) of having his favorite customer back in New York. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to get us a seat but instead, he gave us two boxes of free pizza, still hot and simmering from the oven.

"Thanks Frank!" Gwen shouts as the man waves before entering back to his busy pizza place.

"He's so generous." I observed. "Giving the best pizza in New York for free."

"Oh, Frank is always like that. Even when I was still a kid. My best friend and I use to eat here all the time."

I hailed a cab. "Where to next?"

#2 Visit Central Park and Bury Something

1:34PM

I didn't know it was possible to put a large pizza of oozing cheese and meaty toppings into the stomach of a skinny girl like Gwen but she did it. She even ate half of my share because she didn't want it to go to waste resulting to a burp fit for a man. Bucket list #1 check.