Chapter 14: May I Have This Dance?

CHAPTER 14: May I Have This Dance?

Ro

It has been a month since the start of the second semester and things were really going well for all of us. No Bethany and no training sessions on Sundays. My dad had to stay on a long trip till early December or late November so I didn't have to work too hard.

Before Bethany left, she had apologized to Ariana for everything. She then thanked Ari for defending her even after all she did. They were both enemies when they met but they became friends when they parted.

"Where will you be schooling now?" Ariana had asked as Bethany was about to enter her car.

Bethany had shrugged but she managed to place a small smile on her face even after all the humiliation and guilt she felt. "Oh, somewhere... CIA is not the only culinary school in the world, you know? Although I had dreamt of graduating from here, I realized it's just not meant to be."

"Good luck." Ari had told her with a sorry face. I knew she meant it.

Bethany gave her one of her infamous smiles and nodded. "Thank you, Ariana." were her last words before she went inside her limo and drove away.

Bethany had revealed some disturbing things to me and apologized. Now, I know why Ariana had avoided me all that time. To think Ari was actually kind enough to forgive her. Sometimes, I think she's too much of a saint.

Any-who, it's best not to dwell on the past.

Since it was four days away to October 15, I realized I had to hurry up and find a partner to the dance. The Foundation Ball is a party in honor of celebrating the founding of the school and everyone's busy preparing for it.

It's no question who I'd ask. However...

"Oh, the ball?" Ari held one of Anthony Bourdain's books in her hand and stopped to put a bookmark on it before turning to me. "The one one October 15th?"

"Yeah..." Was all I managed to answer. Ugh, this is so frustrating! She was just looking at me with those beautiful blue eyes and didn't seem to have heard my previous question.

Ari gave a small chuckle before saying, "Sorry, can you repeat the question?"

Getting the words to come out of my mouth were already hard enough but having to repeat them again was torture. This is like prom all over again. "I was wondering if you'd go to the dance with me..." I repeated, trying to act casual.

Ari frowned. Uh, oh. This one's definitely a no.

Ari bit her lip before replying. "Um, about that... Nick has already asked me."

Nick. I hate him now. You know that feeling that you want to hate someone so bad yet you can't really truly hate him cause he hasn't done anything to you? Yup, that feeling was boiling inside me. I hate myself too for not being able to ask her first.

Wait, why am I even thinking this way? Yes, I admit, I am jealous. I admit I really do have feelings for Ariana Starr. I love her eyes, her smile, her laugh... she's amazing in every single way. I fell for her and I fell hard.

October 15th - 9:00PM

After a fancy dinner that was ended with a raspberry and chocolate tart, the dance commenced. My date, Melanie, wore a chiffon pink strapless dress and had her hair tied up in whatever sort of female-language hairstyle you call it.

There was an upbeat song playing in the speakers and Lannie and I had so much fun fooling around. Even Jamie and his partner, Sheila had joined along with the dancing. We all swirled around, laughed, did some fancy moves and just had plain fun. Although, it wasn't really that fun without a certain someone. In truth, I haven't seen Ari the whole night. With all the students in this one big room, it was impossible to locate her.