Chapter 15: Prove It

CHAPTER 15: Prove It

Ariana

"Nick, where are we going?" I asked as he dragged my arm along the empty hallway of the function building. It was dark and scary without people around. I could barely hear the music from the ball.

He looked back at me and smirked as he continued to lead me to who-knows-where. "You'll see."

I liked Nick but sometimes he really knows how to turn up. Just when I was about to tell Ro I...

"We're almost there!" Nick announced, breaking me from my thoughts. Where were we supposed to go anyways? All I see were closed doors and more twists and turns. This building is really huge and if Nick just dragged me out here for nothing and get us lost, I'm seriously going to punch him.

We stopped at an old metal staircase that twirled towards an attic or something. As Nick climbed up the stairs, I stopped him by pulling on his coat.

"Nick, what are you doing?" I demanded in a hushed tone. "What if someone caught us? We're not supposed to be here."

"No one goes to this place." Nick assures me. "Trust me, even the teachers are afraid to be in this part of the building."

I gave him a confused look. "Why would they be afraid?"

Nick shrugs. "They say there are ghosts here and some screaming lady or something."

Just the word, "ghosts" was said, I retreated from him. I want to go back to the party. And a screaming lady?! If people really did avoid this place because of that, then why are we here?

"Nick, let's just go back to the party." I beg, afraid to go back by myself in the dark. Who knows what lurks beneath the shadows?

He smirked at my face. "Are you scared?"

"No." I lied.

"Whatever you say, Ari."

He continued up the twirling staircase, gesturing me to follow him. It was better to go with him than stay in the dark alone. I warily went up the steps, almost tripping twice as I stepped on my dress.

"Careful."

I look at Nick and frowned. "This better be worth it."

"Oh, I promise you, it is."

We ended up in the roof top of the building and the wind rushed through me. It was refreshing after being cooped up in a stuffy party for hours.

But then I saw the view.

The whole Roth hall was alit with lights, emphasizing the beautiful architecture that was the pride of this school. I loved the building during the day but now... it just took my breath away. I remembered the first day I was here. Ms. Harper mentioned something about seeing Roth hall at night. Now, I knew what she meant.

I could see the whole grounds from where I was standing. The best part was probably the blanket of stars above our heads. I spent most of my time inside the lodge that I never really got to enjoy the view at night.

"It's amazing isn't it?" Nick says as he joins me in star gazing.

I was at loss for words so I just nodded my head.

"I stumbled upon this place in the last Foundation ball, during my Freshmen year." he narrates. "I tried to bring Jamie here but he's a real scaredy cat. Too afraid of the dark to come with me. At least your braver than him, even if your a girl."

I didn't really have a choice since he was dragging me along with him.

"Hey, girls can be brave too." I commented, pouting. I never really liked it that women in our society were always weaker than men.