•prologue•

I watch myself intently in the mirror, picking apart every feature. I scan my body, taking in the curves and ample amount of cleavage shown. I run my hands smoothly over my dress, making sure that no wrinkles were present. And so it went, the mask went back on.

I lifted up a champagne flute elegantly as a waiter passed by, making my way from the bathroom and through the crowded area. My eyes search the sea of bodies trying to spot a familiar face. Nobody is present. Did Camila and Keana leave already? Sure, they are a couple, but they had promised to stay with me. I shook my head, clearing my mind of the thoughts.

And then it hit me.

I can't figure out who anybody is since we all have masks on. I chuckled lightly at myself, approaching a small round table. I gave a polite smile, tapping a brunette on the shoulder.

"The tea is quite magnificent, is it not?" I murmured. The woman smiled at me.

"I'd say that it is rather scalding," She replied, my grin stretching wider. I pulled out the chair next to her, happy to see my friend again.

I took in Camila's features, my eyes stopping at her muscular jawline. It was as sharp as a knife, threatening to cut you if you even trailed your fingers over it. I studied her hair, watching how it flowed effortlessly over her shoulder. I fixed mine self consciously, clearing my throat as I did so.

Gasps filled the room as an assumed important figure entered the room. My eyes searched the crowd, resting on a woman.

She was poised, elegant, sophisticated, and proud. Her long raven-colored hair fell down in elegant waves behind and over her shoulders. A sea foam jacket covered her possibly bare shoulders, covering the black, fancy crop top she donned. My eyes trailed down to her pants, or slacks. They were fancier than ordinary clothes. Makes sense. After all, this is an important charity event.

My eyes rose back up to face her, and I sucked in air through my teeth. We locked eyes, her striking emerald orbs gazing at me. She was intimidating, but I could not make out any other features that showed ownership to her.

All I can remember are those eyes.