•one•

I groaned, lifting up my incredibly sore body. I ached everywhere, especially in my legs. I sighed, feeling defeated. Dance had started to take a toll on me.

My name is Normani Kordei Hamilton. I'm 22, and am supposed to be in my senior year of college. I dropped out when I was chosen by LMJ Records for my music career.

I've yet to actually launch my career. For now, Ally - my manager - has convinced me to just focus on meeting people in the industry. I basically handed my career over to Ally and my label, hoping and praying that they make something happen.

My phone buzzed.

Bankhead 💯💶💰: Get your ass up, Mani! You've got a meeting at ten.

I rolled my eyes. For someone who hasn't even gotten a steady career yet, they sure put my ass to work.

Hoe 👀😘☕️: I'm coming, good Lord. Let me get dressed.

Bankhead 💯💶💰: Good. We've also got dance at two. And please, reign them in!

Hoe 👀😘☕️: Them? Sean who is them?

Bankhead 💯💶💰: Your little (definitely not little) friends named Kor and Dei that have a permanent residence on your chest.

Hoe 👀😘☕️: Leave them alone! Why do I have to reign them in again?

Bankhead 💯💶💰: It's too distracting to see those big things bouncing around. Your ass is bad enough.

I left him on read, groaning once more as I got up out of bed. Sean was so extra sometimes!

I threw on a white and sleeveless knitted dress, coming my hair slightly in the mirror. I applied my makeup, smiling at the finishing product. I was cute.

I pulled my nude wedges on, grabbing my purse and phone

I pulled my nude wedges on, grabbing my purse and phone. I dug through my bag, searching for my car keys. When they finally appeared in my hands, I frowned. Seeing those keys made me remember Trevor. I mean, that bastard did cheat on me with Jilly. I shrugged my shoulders. He may be a L.A.N.C.E, but hey, free car.

As I drove, images flashed into my mind. I thought about that woman I saw last night, her dark hair and poised demeanor. What I really remembered, was those glistening green eyes. They were so intimidating, but yet so relaxing. I shook my head, trying to rid myself of the thoughts. I don't even know this woman yet I'm ogling her like she's Zac Efron.

I pulled into the parking lot just as Sean got out of his car, honking at me. He yelped when he saw my car's headlights beaming at him, and I started cracking up.

"Bitch!" Sean yelled as I got out the car.

"Aw," I teased. "Was wittle Sean scawed?" He crossed his arms.

"Those headlights are scary!" He confessed. "Why they gotta be so damn big?"

"They are?" I walked around to the front of the car, looking at them.

"They seemed to be average size to me,"

"Bitch you is dumb," Sean said in a 'boi' tone. "They are anything but average!"

"Come here and look!"

"You're asking me to look at your tits?" Blood rushed to my face as it lit up in embarrassment. I ran to Sean and covered his mouth, looking around.

"You can't say that!" I groaned. "And no, you can't look!" He started laughing.

"I was, in fact, talking about the headlights in your car originally." I flipped him off, stomping towards the elevator.

"Wait up hoe!"

* * *

I entered the main building of LMJ Records, taking in the sights. It still surprised me how modern and futuristic the building was. I swept my gaze over the room in awe, smiling.

Taking swift strides to the front desk, I spotted a pretty blonde sitting behind the table. I smiled at her, catching her off guard.

"Hi Miss..." I thinned my voice out purposely, waiting for her to tell me her name.

"Hansen," She held her hand out. "Dinah Jane Hansen."

"Well," I flashed her another smile. "It's nice to meet you, Dinah. Where's Jilly?" Dinah pulled her hand away and continued working, her fingers typing furiously away on the keyboard.

"She's out sick," I nodded, signaling to her that I understood. "I'm filling in here but I'm really Miss Jauregui's assistant."

"Miss Jauregui?" I cocked my head. Why hadn't I ever heard that name before?

"Lauren Michelle Jauregui," Dinah explained. "The owner of LMJ Records. I believe that's who you are meeting with today, Miss Hamilton." She gave me a sly smile, and I walked off. I waved as I got onto the elevator, getting progressively nervous.

A woman ran towards the elevator swiftly, raising her hand for me to hold it. I did so, looking at her disgruntled manor.

Her raven hair was up in a bun, a few strands coming loose. She donned a gray pantsuit with a massive blazer covering her shoulders. I noticed that her arms weren't in it, and my gaze travelled down them. I looked back up to her face, taking in her vanilla skin. I was taken aback when I looked at her eyes. They were green - that same striking green I had seen at the masquerade ball.

"You're staring," The woman murmured, not taking her eyes off of the elevator door. I blusher, looking away.

"I-uh, um," I stuttered, trying to figure out what to say.

"It's fine," She laughed, a lighthearted one too. "Everybody does it." I found myself staring at her once more, intrigued.

"Everybody?" I asked, my voice coming out in a whisper. She nodded.

"Everyone who is intimidated by me look away," She explained. "Those who get caught and look back have my utmost respect." A grin spread across my face, and I moved a strand of hair out of my face.

The elevator door opened as I checked my watch, and I moved quickly in order to get to my meeting. I was probably late, and late doesn't make money. I groaned in exasperation, reaching for the door. The woman had appeared next to me again, her hand brushing mine. I pulled it back, blushing some more. She let out another laugh.

"You're in this meeting too?" I nodded.

"You must be Miss Hamilton," My eyes widened. How did she know?

"Lauren M. Jauregui," Lauren stuck out her hand. "It's nice to meet you, again."

"Again?" I shook it. She just smiled and shook her head, opening the door to the meeting room.

"We met at the masquerade ball,"