•thirteen•

"Oh Mani," Ally lifted me up, bringing me to the couch. "How?"

"I don't know," I mumbled. "I've been sleeping with so many people lately."

"Is it Lauren's?" I nodded my head.

"But I'm not ready to have a baby," I cried. "I'm too young."

"It's okay Mani," Ally soothed, rubbing my back.

"But I don't want an abortion," I sobbed. "If I never see Lauren again then this baby is all I have left of her."

"Wait," Ally paused. "Isn't Lauren dead?" I shook my head.

"The doctor lied," I explained through muffled cries. "She's really in jail."

"Oh," Ally quieted down.

"If I have this baby," I murmured. "Will you help me take care of it?" Ally smiled, pulling me in for a hug.

"Anything for my best friend,"

* * *

I ordered my coffee, waiting as the Starbucks barista struggled to pronounce my name. I rolled my eyes and tapped my foot impatiently, seeing a black woman purse her lips and shake her head. I laughed slightly.

"Excuse me?" I snapped to get his attention. "It's pronounced Normani." He blushed when he looked at me, shakily handing me my coffee.

"Sorry ma," He smiled cheekily. I laughed.

"It's okay sweetheart," The boy smiled but it quickly faltered when he looked at someone behind me. I raised an eyebrow, turning around. The minute I turned around I was engulfed into a passionate kiss. My first instinct was to push the person off, but it quickly changed to wrapping my arms around the person's neck. I recognized those lips.

Who could forget those dry, cracked, sandpaper lips?

I pulled away, smiling. The entire Starbucks erupted in 'awes'. I locked eyes with the green ones that were placed before me.

"Hi Lauren," I blushed.

"Hi baby," Lauren reached down and intwined our fingers, walking us out of the coffee shop. I sipped my iced Chai tea latte, smiling joyously. I've never been so happy to see her in my life. I reached down and timidly put my hand on the area she got shot. She winced a little, but relaxed quickly.

"You're alive," I breathed. Tears returned again, and I saw no point in holding them back. Why could she make me cry about almost anything?

"Yeah baby," She whispered. "I'm alive." I leaned in to kiss her before I was overwhelmed with anger.

"Hold up," I stopped her. She looked confused. "Instead of dying you faked the death and went to jail?"

"I'm sorry baby I-" I crossed my arms and tapped my foot.

"Lauren," I groaned. "Why would you do that?"

"It will be explained at dinner," I raised my eyebrows. "My family and I would like to invite you to a well, homecoming dinner. Will you be my guest?" I thought about it.

"Yeah," I was pulled in for yet another hug, and I had gotten a proper view of Lauren.

Her hair was cut shorter, and she looked much more exhausted. She'd lost weight, yet she felt stronger than ever.