37- It's Over Now

January

February

March

The months passed by in a breeze of basketball and taste tests. I had basketball on Friday with Carter and dinner with my father almost every Wednesday, both to make sure that I can legally stay here in Minnesota and also to get to know him. My mom had brainwashed me for so long to hate him, saying that he was a workaholic and a heartless son of a bitch but he didn’t seem like that to me. He was passionate about his work, but he still managed to get almost every Wednesday off to meet me for dinner, so that was definitely something. More than my mom had given me in the past years.

And then, when I wasn’t with Carter, with my dad, or doing schoolwork, I was with Anna, Sophie, and Paige as we helped Anna plan out the wedding with every detail. Dresses, tuxes, caterer, venue, reception, ceremony, rings, the honeymoon. All of it was organized in one binder with color coded labels and everything.

Anna didn’t want a wedding planner so she was doing all of the work herself. Well, between her and her mother and then us little helper bees, including some of her college friends as well. We were doing a great job at it too, I thought. Tommy had little say in most of the wedding, which he was completely fine with, because he was working a lot at his new job and he was also looking through apartment listings to find an apartment for him and Anna after they got married.

However, the wedding was far from my mind on Friday evening, right after I got back home after school. I was sitting with Anna at the dining room table with the binder as we went through all of the dress shops nearby and it was also the day that our spring break officially started. Carter had a basketball game but it was away and the drive was two hours, so I didn’t go. Their record for the year was really good though, they’d only lost two games in the whole season so far so things were looking really good for them and they’d probably win this game too.

But I wasn’t thinking much about Carter either.

I was actually really worried that my mother would show up out of the blue and try to take me away. I hadn’t spoken to her since I had that huge fight with her and she threatened to literally come to Minnesota and drag me away from my new life here to join her in France. She seemed really intent on that so I’m really scared that she’ll do just that. My father assured me that if she tried to take me away though, that he’d take it to court if that was what I wanted, and since I was so old, almost eighteen already, that the judge would just let me stay with whoever I wanted to stay with.

I didn’t tell anybody about that conversation with my mother, not even Carter, so even though she couldn’t take me away, I was still afraid that she’d show up here because if she did that, she’d no doubt start making a scene.

“So what do you think of this one?” Anna interrupted my paranoid thoughts as she pointed to her laptop that showed a bridal website. “I really love their style.”

“I like it,” I assured her absentmindedly. “How far away is that one?”

“Only an hour south,” She said. “It could be a day trip, it’ll be fun. I can make an appointment for Thursday, do you want to go?”

I saw a car pull up to the garage through the dining room window and it made me jump, thinking that this was it. It was my mother coming to collect me and then rip me a new one in front of all of my friends before dragging me by my hair to the airport.

“Maddie?”

“What?” I jumped, snapping out of my paranoia when I saw that it was Carter getting home and not my mother coming in on a rampage.

“Are you okay?” Anna wondered with a confused frown.

“Oh yeah, I’m fine. Um, Thursday, you said? Sure, I can go. Sounds like fun. I just saw that Carter’s home though, so I’m going to go see how the game went. Are we all good here?”