Lucky

Things in the Buckingham household aren't perfect but they're definitely improving. Stevie has been going through belongings and deciding what she wanted to take versus what would stay. It was hard for her but it was especially hard for their children. There were boxes all over the house and Stevie was often found in tears over it all. She loved their house and it held so many beautiful memories. Walking down the hall, she peeked into Callie's room, remembering that it used to hold two, tiny, pink infants. She passed through to the side that used to be Lindsey's but now were storage for more boxes. She could still smell the pot that would burn late at night in his ash tray. She could still remember in vivid detail, the painting of the rooms and the laying of floorboards. She remembers looking over the house with Lindsey, heavily pregnant, as it was being built. What would come of the horses, the gardens, and what about their renters? Nothing was thought of in that respect and it scared her. Pregnancy always made her dive into plans and schedules and spontaneity took a back seat for nine months. It was her way. Change was never that easy for Stevie, being a creature of habit. She went into the kitchen and saw Lindsey sitting at the counter. She tapped his shoulder to make him turn around and she hugged him.

"You're overthinking again" he says and she nods over his shoulder. "Don't cry, I will handle it"

"I'm scared." she tells him, pulling away to look at him. He has heard her say that so many times recently and it broke his heart. Tears are streaming down her face and he tries his best to wipe them away.

"I know and we've talked about this. Stressing yourself out is only going to make things worse. You're doing a great job here with the house and in a couple days I will be going to look at our temporary placement and the kids' school. I hate seeing you so upset, Angel"

"I can't help it. I just keep thinking about little things, and not-so-little things too. My mind won't turn off"

"I will help you the best I can. I love you. Please, try to rest. You look so tired."

"I will try" He kisses her, watching her go down the hallway back to their room. He looked around at the boxes feeling a little sad himself. This house was built for him as a gift and now he feels as if it's all going away. Lindsey doesn't much like change either. If it weren't for the circumstances, he would have turned him down.

------

Lindsey didn't want to leave his family behind to go to San Francisco. He called and pulled the children out of school then went into town to get Stevie who was teaching her last pottery workshop. Her three favorite people burst through the door, greeting her with smiles and hugs.

"I'm covered in clay and... well, mud, basically!" Stevie said. "I wouldn't want you to ruin your clothes. Let me clean up" She pulled off her smock and washed her hands. "Wait...aren't you two supposed to be in school?"

"Daddy says we're going on a trip"

"A trip?" She asks and Lindsey smiles at her, kissing her cheek.

"I didn't want to go alone. I thought we could make it a family affair. I have three or four house options and I'm going to need some help deciding."

"Well, alright." She says. "I'll let you off the hook. Now where are my hugs and kisses? Oh, I've missed you all so much!" The kids launch themselves toward her once more, squeezing her tightly all while Lindsey has a look of panic on his face.

"Be careful, you guys"

"They're fine. I won't break, Linds"

"You're pregnant, I--"

"You worry, I know. We are fine."

"I will stop hovering. How was it?"

"Great. I had all ages today and it was really fun!"

"You looked happy when we came in. I knew it had to have been good."

"Yes, I think it was my best class yet"

"You always say that, mom" Dylan says.

"Well, they just keep getting better and better, my sweet boy" she says, ruffling his hair. "You're so handsome, just like your daddy" He leans into her and she hugs him again. "I love you"

"I love you too. How is the baby?"

"Good. Not much action. Sometimes I feel it move a lot and other times, not really at all."

"Maybe the baby is sleeping" he suggests.

"That's possible. When you and your sister were in here, she moved a lot and you were always so still"

"I was?" She nods. "Then it's totally a boy." He says and she laughs.

"We won't know for a while" she says.

"I hope it's a girl" Callie says. "Or twins!"

"Please, God, not another set of twins!" Lindsey says, teasing the kids.

"Hey!" They say in unison and Lindsey cracks up laughing.

"You three are trouble together." Stevie says, shaking her head. "So when do we leave, Linds?"

"Um...now" he says, finally composing himself and wiping his eyes as he had driven himself to tears.

"Lindsey! I have to pack for us and the kids, I'd like a shower..."

"You will be fine. I already packed for all of us, and anything I forgot, we can purchase there."

"Ughh...fine" she says. "Buckinghams are going to be the death of me" She gets her bag and makes sure everything she needed to get done had been done. She turns off the light and follows Lindsey and their rambunctious and overly excited children out. "This is going to be a long trip" She sighed, smoothing a hand over her tiny belly. She had begun to show just a little bit more and Lindsey loved to see it. He felt instantly proud when he looked at her. He put an arm around her shoulders and she slipped her arm through his waist.

"I love you"

"I love you too." She says.

"Remember not to stress. I will take care of everything. I think you will like looking at the houses. We have a temporary space we will be in for a couple of months while any work on the house is completed. I want you to like living there again."

"Daddy said we can be just as happy there, if we let ourselves. The kids even seem to be warming up to the idea over the past couple days"

"Seems like" he says. He makes sure the kids are buckled in and watches Stevie get into the car herself after tossing her purse in the backseat with the kids.

"Can I use your iPod, mommy?" Callie asks.

"Sure, sweet girl" Stevie replied. Lindsey smiles at her and smoothes a hand over her bump.

"How did I get so lucky?" He asks, more to himself than to anyone else in his presence.

"I ask myself the same thing" she replies.