Chapter 6

Kairi spent the next day avoiding Mello, after all last night was way too awkward. She was succeeding in this until she walked into the dining room - to find Mello siting with her friends. How could he?! How could THEY?!

Kairi was about to turn around and leave back to the kitchens, however a leather gloved hand appeared on her shoulder.

"What do you want Mello..." she sighed.

"Kairi I wanted to talk to you but you'd better eat your dinner first." he said, gesturing to the pizza and chocolate chunk cookie on her tray.

Kairi ate her food slowly, hoping to delay the inevitable confrontation in any way possible. Eventually she finished and they were the only people left in the dining room. Kairi went paler than she normally was and braced herself for what as going to happen.

"Kairi, you haven't spoken to me since last night. Is everything ok?"

She groaned silently to herself. Surely he could tell why she was so embarrassed!

"I'm sorry if you got embarrassed over last night Kairi." Mello took a bar of chocolate out of his pocket and bit a huge chunk of in his mouth, like he always did.

Kairi smiled a little, he looked so cute with the chocolate half out of his mouth. No! Stupid Kairi! She wasn't worthy of him! Surely he should be with someone else, someone more rebellious than she was. She twirled a stray piece of her hair idly.

Mello scowled. "You remind me of Near when you do that....."

Kairi stopped, and drummed her fingers on the table.

"You looked pretty cute in your pjs last night." Mello smiled, his scowl fading.

"Thanks." Kairi replied in a monosyllabic tone.

After around 10 minutes of forced, awkward conversation Mello left the room quickly.

Kairi sat there alone, trying not to cry. That had to be one of the most humiliating moment of her life - well besides the time - that didn't matter! It seemed obvious to her. Mello didn't love her back.