Chapter 9

I sat up and looked around my room...only to see that I wasn't in my room. It was completely dark but I knew for a fact that I didn't have a glow in the dark clock on my desk. That was how I automatically knew that I wasn't in my own room.

I heard something breathe beside me and I quickly hit it. Or should I say him. I had hit Dan. Just a second ago we were sitting in a tree together. Then I fell because the wind started blowing. How was I sitting in bed now? Maybe...maybe it was all a dream. Becoming friends with Dan. Then kissing him. Telling him about my brother and why I was scared of swimming. I even showed him Lion. But it all had to have been a dream.

"What the hell are you doing?" Dan asked furiously.

"I...sorry. I had a weird dream and you scared me."

"So you punched me in the stomach? Dear god, what kind of dream is that?"

I brought my knees up to my chest and shook my head. "Don't worry about it. I was just sort of out of it I guess."

He sighed and layed down again. "Don't punch me again. Please."

I layed down again too and closed my eyes. I sort of felt like crying in a weird way. That dream had been so real. I felt happier in a dream than I had in real life for years. That's typical. I'm just not allowed to be happy. That's the way my life works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Phil. Philip. Get up!" Dan shook my shoulder, trying to wake me up.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "What is it?"

"I'm sorry. It's 12:30. My parents could get home at any minute now and I'm not exactly supposed to have friends over when they're not here."

"Oh. Right. Yeah." I nodded quickly. "I'll just get dressed and go then."

"I really am sorry. You just looked so peaceful while sleeping. I didn't have the heart to wake you earlier..."

I got up and stretched. "Don't worry about it."

Dan left the room so that I could get dressed. I grabbed my clothes from Dan's desk and switched into my clothes. I folded Dan's pants and put them onto the desk where my clothes had just been sitting.

When I left Dan's room he was sitting at the top of the stairs waiting for me.

"Did you want me to walk with you?" he asked.

I shrugged. "If you want to. Doesn't really make a difference to me."

"I'll come with you." he decided.

We went down the stairs and got our shoes on quickly. Dan opened the front door and we left quickly.

"So. Trip tomorrow."

"Yeah." I said while yawning.

"Are you excited?" he asked, grinning at me.

"I don't know. I don't really leave home much." I answered honestly.

"Neither do I. But I'd like to leave my family for a while. They're starting to drive me insane. If I'm not careful I'm going to say something that I don't want them to know."

"What do you mean?"

Dan kicked a stone and shrugged. "Uh nothing really. They just...aren't my favourite people. I have many opinions on them and I'd prefer it if they didn't know them."

I nodded. "I get it. I suppose that's the same for me and my dad."

"What?"

"Well...something happened a few years ago and my dad never really forgave me for it. I'm sure he has those 'opinions' too." I explained quietly. Of course I was talking about when Martin drowned. He'd always liked Martin more than me. When he found out that Martin had died and I was the only one there he automatically blamed me. I suppose it was my fault. I knew we shouldn't have been going swimming but I didn't say anything.