Chapter 7

Dan was right. He wasn't a cook.

"No! Dan! Don't leave the ring on when you take the sauce off!" I shouted, running over to turn the stove off. "You could burn the cabin down."

"I just took it off! Calm down!"

I separated the noodles into 2 bowls then poured the sauce on top. "Well. Here. Enjoy."

"Are you going to eat with me?"

"Actually I was going to read. I saw the Harry Potter books when I came in to listen to music."

"Can you at least sit with me while you read?"

I nodded. "If you really want me to."

I went to the bookshelf and chose the third Harry Potter book. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. The best one in my opinion. Dan was already sitting on the couch eating his food so I sat next to him and started eating my own food. It didn't taste as good as when my mum made it but it still tasted pretty good. I'll have to tell mum that I actually made spaghetti by myself for the first time.

"Which book are you reading?" Dan asked finally.

"Third." I answered, not looking up. I had a habit of ignoring people when I was reading.

"That's my favourite one." Dan told me while leaning on my shoulder.

"It's mine too."  I put my empty bowl on the arm of the chair and continued reading. I think Dan said something else to me but I wasn't really listening. When I reached chapter 5 I looked over and saw that Dan wasn't sitting next to me anymore. In fact, it was really dark out and quiet in here.

I put my book down and went upstairs looking for Dan. The light was on in one of the bedrooms. I quietly went in and saw Dan sitting on the bed with his back to me. He was on Facebook talking to someone. Okay. He's not me. He actually has friends. But it was Grace. I got a little bit closer and read over his shoulder. I know I shouldn't be reading his messages over his shoulder but for some reason I felt like I had to.

Grace: So when are you going to be back Danny?

Dan: Umm 2 weeks I think

Grace: aww you can't be away from me for that long

Before answering Dan scratched his head and I moved back so that he wouldn't hit me.

Dan: Well my dear there's nothing I can do about it

Grace: can't you come back early?

Dan: I suppose I could but I wouldn't be able to finish all of the art I have to get done. I don't want to fail this art unit

as soon as I get back I'll come see you

Grace: promise?

Dan: Yes love, I promise

Love? I slowly backed away and went into the other bedroom. I turned on the light and saw that there were a lot of different books in here. Some old ones but also some newer ones. I'd have enough books to last me two weeks. I tried finding something to do that would take my mind off of the conversation I'd just read but nothing was working. I should have known that this would happen. Why would Dan want to date someone like me, a boy, when he could date pretty much any girl that he wanted.

"Phil?" Dan yelled down the stairs.

Seeing that I already had my pyjamas on I climbed into the bed and tried to sleep. Or at least pretend to sleep if Dan came in. I heard him go downstairs and call my name a few times before coming back up here. After looking around a bit he opened the door to the room I was in and sighed.