prolouge

Keith

Running on the track, I was currently in second place against my biggest competitor, Jason Wesley. Jumping over the second to last hurdle, I became neck and neck with him. I took a deep breath and started to sprint over the last hurdle and cross the finish line in first place, just a second earlier than him. I smiled in content and did a backflip. I pointed at my sister and mom in the stands as they cheered and clapped for me.

"I'm so happy for you brother!" My 9 year old sister, Kalani, cheesed at me as she walked next to me. I smiled as I looked at my stat sheet.

"Thank you, Lani. It wasn't the best I could've ran. I can do better than this." I self criticized.

"That doesn't matter. You finally beat him! You can work on getting better at your practice tomorrow. But we're celebrating tonight." My mom smiled at me, kissing my cheek.

"Ooo! Pizza and wings mama?" Kalani grinned, hopeful.

"You know it, babygirl." She said as Kalani smiled and rushed to the car.

Arriving home later that day, the three of us sat together in the living room eating our pizza and wings.

"I hope I win first place at my dance competition next weekend." Kalani said.

"Win or lose, we'll still be proud of you. Besides, your last name is Powers, we always support each other." Mama said to her. I cut my eyes at her, rolling them afterwards.

"Yeah, when you not sprung out on drugs." I mumbled. It got quiet in the room and my mom cleared her throat to get rid of the awkward silence.

"C'mon Kalani, time for bed. Keith will you clean up for me?" She asked. I sighed and nodded, grabbing the pizza box.

I walked into Kalani's room after cleaning up the kitchen and sat on the edge of her bed.

"Ima get us out of here babygirl. I promise." I whispered to her as she slept. I kissed her cheek and sighed. I got up and walked back into the living room to walk out the door when I saw my mom on the couch cutting up her cocaine. She froze when she saw me and tried to hide it.

"You're never going to change are you?" I asked her. She played with her nails and tucked her hair behind her ear. I scoffed and grabbed my bag off the floor.

"You're a disgrace." I muttered before walking past her to the door.

"Where you going?" She asked me.

"I got shit to do." I said before slamming the door behind me.

I gotta get Kalani and I out of here.

If it's the last thing I do.

fin.