whipped

Keith

a week later, wednesday night..
Work was a drag. They had my ass on a night shift so I ain't even get home until 'bout 11:30 in the night. Dumb ass McDonald's managers. I walked into the house as quiet as possible so I wouldn't wake up Kalani since she's such a light sleeper. Once I turned on the light, I saw my mom sitting on the couch, crying.

"What's the matter?" I asked, concerned. She looked up at me and wiped her eyes.

"I-I don't know. I want to get better but I don't know what's wrong with me." She cried. I sighed deeply and placed my wallet, keys and hat on the table before making my way over to her and pulling her into my arms. She finally wasn't drunk or high off drugs. This was her true, vulnerable state.

"It's okay, mama. You're gonna get help but it has to start with you first." I told her. She nodded and sniffled.

"Ever since your dad left, I haven't been able to deal. I loved that man and he up and left me as soon as things got rough." She said through her tears.

"I know mama. But you have to remember, you were the main problem that made him leave. Getting introduced to drugs and then becoming addicted and putting Kalani in harms way while you were pregnant. Your actions have consequences, you have to make better choices." I told her, giving her my full attention.

"Oh God, Kalani," she said, shaking her head and wiping more tears. "I'm a terrible mother. Look at me! You're my son and caring for Kalani like she's your daughter. You've been a better parent for the both of us than I ever was." She said. I chuckled, to lighten the mood.

"It damn sure ain't easy either." I told her. She smiled, weakly and sighed.

"You have a new girlfriend?" She asked out of the blue. My eyes widened.

"Mama! What makes you think that?" I asked, chuckling. This was the mother I missed. Where we could have a conversation about anything and still be able to laugh about it. When we used to talk about any and everything. God, I miss her.

"I see you leave out of here late at night sometimes. 'I'll be there in a minute babygirl', 'i'm always here for you'. Don't think I don't hear. I might be drunk or high most of the time, but I ain't deaf." She smiled. I turned red and shook my head. I already knew she was talking about Jasmine.

"Nah, she's not my girlfriend but I can't deny that I do care about her deeply." I told her. She smiled at me and I damn near cried. I haven't seen my mothers genuine smile in so long.

"I love you, Keith." She told me. I smiled her way, my eyes watering.

"I love you too, mama." I said, kissing her cheek and getting up.

"Goodnight."

-

lunch, thursday afternoon..
"She was actually so normal. It felt great to see her in her regular state." I told Jasmine as we sat in the courtyard together during lunch.

"Aw, that's good, Keith. Do you think she'll try and get some help?" She asked, eating a strawberry. I shrugged as I opened my bottle of Red Gatorade.

"I don't know. I hope she came to her senses. But I think last night everything just got to her." I said as I took a swig from the bottle. "Gimme one." I said as I opened my mouth, referring to her strawberries. She smiled and placed one in my mouth.