crying out

Jasmine

january 7th, sunday night
It was 4:27pm and I was sitting in my room, completing a homework assignment for AP Literature when I heard footsteps approach my door. I looked up, hoping it wasn't Ron about to bother me but my hopes failed as he shoved my door open.

"What did I say about closed doors in this house?" He asked through gritted teeth. I closed my book and sat up.

"I'm sorry, I just wanted some peace and quiet to finish my home--"

"I don't give a fuck. Doors open at all times, you know better." He cut me off. I swallowed thickly and nodded.

"Yes sir."

"Why are there dishes in the sink? And why isn't dinner started?" He asked, stepping closer.

well nigga if you hungry, why don't you cook something?

I gripped the pen in my hand as he stood at the foot of my bed.

"I-I was gonna wash them as soon as I finished my homework. I--" I was cut off by a hard smack to the side of my face. I held my right cheek with my hand as my eyes watered.

"Go and wash them, now." He said. I nodded and blinked the tears away as I tried to walk swiftly past him but failed as he shoved me onto the floor. I sighed heavily and stood back up, quickly walking out the door and scattering into the kitchen.

-

"No, please don't do it, Ron! I'm sorry! Mommy!" I heard Chelsea yell from her room. It was after 10 and I was just finishing my homework but quickly put my pen down and ran down the hall to her room. I pushed the door open and shoved Ron out the way. He tripped but caught himself as I stood in front of Chelsea as she cried.

"Get out of my way!" Ron yelled, as he stood and stared at me.

"No! Leave her alone!" I yelled back as I shoved him. He gripped my throat and pushed me into the wall, squeezing it. I struggled for air as his grip got tighter.

"Don't put your fucking hands on me bitch. If you see me doing something, you mind your own damn business and keep it moving." He said to me as he got in my face. His breath reeked of Henessey and cigarettes.

I tried pulling his hands off of my neck and he just continued as he stared into my soul with his piercing blue eyes. He eventually let go and I dropped to the floor as I caught my breath. He then decided to kick me in my side and gripped my curls as he punched me a few times in my face and mouth.

"It's time to teach you a damn lesson." I heard him mumble and saw his pants drop. I shook my head and cried as he threw me on the floor and pulled my shorts off, shoving himself into me.

"Jasmine!!" I heard Chelsea's piercing cry.

"I'm okay Chelsea, go to my room, please!" I managed to say through my cries.

I'd rather it be me than Chelsea.

Keith

next morning..
I sat in first period waiting on Jasmine to walk in. Class started 30 minutes ago and she still didn't walk in. I began to grow worried when I checked my phone to see that she still hadn't responded to my texts. My leg bounced underneath the desk as I tried my hardest to focus on what Mr. McConnel was saying.