Chapter 4

Chapter Four

The sun is shimmering through the blinds, casting its glare on my face. I groan, immediately feeling queasy, and roll over only to be confronted by another human being. Startled, I peek open an eye before quickly shutting it. Today is going to be rough. I’m really, really hoping that Taylor is lying right next to me now because I don’t remember a think from last night and I’m too scared to open my eyes.

After a minute of debating, I open my eyes very cautiously and have never been more relieved to find Taylor sleeping soundly beside me, his short blonde hair sticking up in every direction on his pillow. He was lying on his stomach, with his arms above his head. He wasn’t wearing a shirt and the sheets had fallen to his waist extenuating his toned back. Relief immediately washes over me, knowing at least I landed in safe place.

Once my eyes adjust to the light, I look around and realize that I’m, for one, not in my own bedroom. My mind takes a minute to register that I’m in Taylor’s room. This is something that is not really out of the ordinary. Many times I have slept over at his house if I have drank too much or if I passed out or if he just didn’t feel like taking me home. The same goes for him; there have been many times he has been too drunk to drive or whatever.

I sit up, the sheets falling into to my lap. I look down at myself to see that I’m wearing a shirt of his as well and, thankfully, shorts. I look around the room for my clothes, but they are nowhere to be found. That’s never a good sign.

I throw my feet over the side of the bed and sit up completely. Holy hangover.

Damnit. Every time I drink with them I wake up with the worse hangover. I curse myself under my breath and struggle to climb out of bed.

I stagger, very ungracefully, into Taylor’s closet in search of sweatpants and a jacket. I leave my clothes over here a lot and I was hoping to find something of my own to wear, however I couldn't find where I left them. I settled on a jacket, that I’m pretty sure belonged to me at one point, and a pair of sweatpants. I walk down the hall, into the kitchen and make myself a cup of coffee. I find some ibuprofen and a banana and wander out onto the back patio.

It was a picturesque morning, there was a gently breeze flowing through the trees. The sun is shining bright over the horizon, giving the scenery an orange tint.  Taylor’s house is one of my favorite places to be. It was set back on a beautiful piece of land with a view of the Californian landscape. Every time I come here, it always feels like I am getting away from the worries of my sometimes, complicated, life. Often times, when he left on tour, he left me in charge of the house. I came over frequently, enjoying the piece and quiet. It was nice having a home away from home.

Taylor has always been a constant figure in my life. He’s changed only slightly, still bearing resemblance to the same kid that I met in high school. He has that same charm that allures girls from near and far. He has the same excitement for life, taking every opportunity as an adventure into new territory. He can take the bull by the horns, where I am more wary to jump into the unknown.   

In some ways we are very similar. We have very dominating personalities, yet at the same time we can be very laid back and go with the flow. We work well together if we have to, but can fight like a married couple over what to have for dinner. Taylor has always been goofier; where I am more reserved around people I don’t know. 

Like Jordyn, there has been many times in my life that I have been away from him for long periods of time. His career started to pick up when he started touring with Alanis Morissette some years back. He would go off on tour for months at a time leaving me at home by myself. It was a hard time, being away from somebody that you grow accustomed to seeing everyday. Over time, it has and is, getting easier to be apart. I have definitely leaned on him more in the past few years for support than I have for most of our friendship.