Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen

“Ben?”

“Here”

“Laura?”

“Here”

Today is the first day of school. It is one of my favorite days of the year because everybody is usually so well behaved. They’re all so scared shitless of what you might do to them that they don’t try anything. You always have the class clown, the group of social girls, and rowdy boys in the back. That comes with every group of kids that passes through.

This year I am teaching Government. My class is made of mostly juniors and seniors. It was a nice change from the freshman that I have had the past few years. The older kids are always more fun. Whether they realize it or not they are at their most influential; their whole lives are still before them. As a teacher, you don’t realize how much influence you have on a kid until you see them succeed. That’s what is most rewarding.

“Alright everyone, we’re going to go over the syllabus and talk a little about what we are going to do this semester. However, first we are going to get to know a little about everyone, including myself.” I explain, setting the papers in my hand down on my desk. “We are going to go around the room and you’re going to say your name and your favorite band.”

This causes them to perk up a little bit, like I had expected. It may be near one in the afternoon, but it is towards the end of the day, which means they are just about zoned out. I point to the first person to start. She’s a cute, petite blonde hair, blue-eyed girl who appears to be very intelligent.

“Hi, “ she smiles awkwardly and I'm already in love with her. “My name is Maria and my favorite band is Blink 182.” I’m done. She’s mine. I want to take her with me. She might be my favorite student already, even know we aren’t supposed to have any.

I give her a warm smile and point to the next kid. He speaks up, “My name is Ben and my favorite band is Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

I grin widely, “I love them. Great group of guys too.”

He smiles in return; I think he’s surprised that his teacher loves the Chili’s. He has no idea what’s about to come at him. I point to the next kid, signaling him to go.

“My name is Zach and my favorite band is Green Day.” These kids have better taste in music than I thought.

“My name is Laura and my favorite band is Nsync.” I was waiting for that one.

“My name is Michael and my favorite band is Queens of the Stone Age.” Ahhhhh, Josh Homme.

“My name is Elijah and my favorite band is Nirvana.” I’ll have to tell Dave.

“My name is Abigail and my favorite band is The Rolling Stones.” That’s a good one.