XIX

"My story starts when was 9 years old, actually I was part of that story since I was born, but it was not before 9, when I started to understand what was happening. I started to notice how my mother always had red eyes, indeed tears in her eyes. I started see the red marks on her hands on her face. I watched how my so called Dad tortured her. I hated him. We were never close from the very beginning, but it was then when I realised why my mother kept me away from him. If anyone was near to him, it could be only in one way, him hurting that person.... And my mother always saved me. I wanted to do something to save her, to protect her from that monster but I couldn't. I failed as son." there was a distant look in his eye but anger soon replaced it when he continued to speak, "I just came from my friend's home, it was evening time, when I found that monster drunk, ready to hit someone, and that night, that someone would have been me if my mother didn't come to save me at right moment. That night he went too far, maybe because of alcohol or his own wish or anger, but whatever it was, my mother was free of his beatings, free of all sadness, free of everything, free from this world. And you know what, I was never able to save her, but when it was me, she instantly saved me and even sacrificed .... " he was not able to complete his sentence but that was not needed for Naina to understand what he was going to say. "One day after that, police came to arrest him, but found him dead, because someone had killed him, and the first suspicion was on me. The only reason behind it was that he killed my mother and I was present at wrong time with wrong item, it was his murder weapon in my hand which assured police that I was the killer. There was no one to save me neither did I try to prove myself innocent. And soon I found myself in court and then in youth detention centre or jail for children. After that, there was no turning back, I had no home or no family so I started indulging in small thefts and was part of all underworld and Jail became my second home."

"Who killed your Da.... that monster?" Naina corrected herself before Aalekh did.

"Maybe one of his money lender, but I don't know actually..." he had closed his eyes, trying to forget whatever he had said right now, one thing that Aalekh really liked in underworld was that no emotion was involved. Everyone was there for his own selfish reason and cared for no one other then own. But after coming to KMA, he had started to feel something, something for all 5 cadets. "Now your turn.." he changed the topic and asked Naina to start her stotry.

"My story is quiet recent one, my brother was an army officer but during his duty someone framed him for something he never did, and soon army and government was the one who wanted him dead. The only people he worked for. And they even got what they wanted, he died while he was running away from them." Aalekh interrupted her when he said, "Your brother never worked for government or army...." Naina glared at him, thinking what he was going to say,

"He worked for his nation."

Giving a sad smile she continued, "Yes, and that nation with army labelled him Traitor. And that is what brings me here." she completed her short story when Aalekh just nodded in understanding. They started to walk again, following the map, and in silence, both thinking about each other's story. "Aalekh, wait, I wanted to show you something....." she took out the small photo of her brother, " He is Captain Naveen Singh Ahuluwalia." Aalekh just saw the picture, seeing the resemblance between the brother and sister, "He was my only brother, and now he also ....." she said it more to herself but Aalekh heard it, "I can help you with that.... I shared my story with you, now you need to give me something." "What can I give you?" Naina asked in confusion, "Promise me, that you will prove everyone wrong sis?"  "Only if you also help, bro." Naina smiled and continued to walk.

That game may or may not have an advantage in their becoming soldier, but that game gave Aalekh someone to call family and gave Naina someone on whom she can trust and lean on. KMA just had a new and beautiful relation formed inside it walls.