[19]

"When was the last time you drove?"

"Years ago," he replied, looking out the window, "before I sold it for extra cash."

"Do you still know how?"

"Yeah," he turned to Yemi, "why?"

"Because," she shrugged, turning into the building, "you need to get around and I sort of have a really busy schedule this week. So I might just let you drive the other car."

Zayn just stayed quiet, biting his lip.

"What are you thinking?" Yemi asked quietly, parking in a spot and watching his every move.

"Honestly?"

"Always."

"This...this is overwhelming, Yemi," he confessed, "I mean, I honestly appreciate everything you're doing for me and my son, but I'm thinking about all the money going into this and I...I can't pay you back that quick, and--"

"Do you feel emasculated--"

"No, no, I don't care about that. It's just...I'm not good at receiving anything good. I can't take compliments, I can't ask for help, I can't do anything. But someone to just know that I need help and go beyond their way really scares me because I feel like I owe you everything, even the clothes on my back. Which you bought!"

Yemi looked a little sad, but she smiled at him and touched his hand across the console. "That's the thing, Zayn. It's never about money to me, it's about helping people. And maybe I am pushing these things on you but I'm really just trying to help as much as I can."

"I know, but...nothing, just thank you."

"Zayn," he felt her hands on his face and looked into her eyes, "stop being a sap and accept my offers," she leaned in and kissed his cheek softly, "now you're gonna be late for work," at that, he grinned -- besides her kiss omg -- "so, go on. You have money for lunch?"

"Yeah."

"And I'll pick you up at five. Goodbye," she let go and sat back, "and I meant what I said the other night."

"You told me already."

"I did?" she curled her lip and thought about it.

"You did."

"Mhm."

"You didn't kiss my other cheek, though."

"Goodbye, Zayn." she replied with a roll of her pretty brown eyes.

"Ah, shoot," he got out the car and closed the door before walking into the corporate building. Someone was already waiting for him downstairs, a small sign with his name on it. "Uh, yeah, I'm Zayn."

"Hi, I'm Marcus, Delruso," they shook hands, "I'm just supposed to show you around the floor you're on. The building is a little confusing but you'll quickly get a hang of it."

"Oh, alright. Cool," he smiled and followed Marcus towards the elevators.

"And this is your office," Marcus opened a door and showed Zayn to his space. It wasn't much, but Zayn didn't have much, and he was sure to make a good enough impression to get promoted one day. He was determined.

"Nice," he stepped in and looked around.

"Mrs. Mansa will be here in just a moment. I'll see you later on."

"Okay," Zayn sat in his chair while Marcus left, leaving the door open for the next person to come in.

Mrs. Mansa came in five minutes later, dressed in business casual attire and a bright smile on her face. "Zayn, we meet again."

"Hi," he stood to shake her hand yet again.

"You are extremely under dressed," she chuckled, sitting in a chair across from his desk, "here, we like to show our creativity, meaning you don't have to be sod dressy. I like power suits, so I don't count, but you, you can wear whatever."

"Well, I don't really--"

"Understandable, which is why I've set up a few things from the fashion department. You can go down there if you need something, but for the most part I see all my employees in all black."

"That is sort of my thing," he agreed timidly, "I just get nervous."

"Again, it's understandable. Also, this office is kind of bland, but we have great art pieces and photos for you to put up. It's all taken care of."

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Mansa."

"It's not a problem. So..." she trailed off, "we provide all employees with a company laptop if needed be, mostly because we want each person updated on the latest technology--"

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Zayn," she made a face and chuckled, "you're part of a magazine now, we have to provide."

"But--"

"Just take the employee benefits. I know you can't give back, but for me, I'm asking for your best writings and reviews. That's what I want."

Zayn shut up, biting his lip. "I'm just not used to it--"

"Well, get used to it. At least for a little while. I'm sure the people around you are just trying to help, so take it. Giving back is not in means of money, some people just like attention."

I love this story so it's gonna speed up romantically I promise

as in, next chapter type shit