[38]

"Mija!"

"Mamá," Yemi hushed Valentina with a smile, "were in a lobby, mamá. Silencio."

"Lo siento, Yemi," she sat down beside her and crossed her legs, "how's he doing?"

"Good," she smiled, "I just needed to sit out here, my head hurts."

"What's wrong with you?"

"Sinus," she sniffed, "and Jahdai has this thing where he likes to sneeze on people, I don't know what it is."

"Ew," she grimaced, taking a small breath, "he's so nasty."

"Tell me about it, mamá."

It was quiet for a second before Valentina looked at her daughter again, Yemi's eyes focused on her phone. She looked up when she felt her mother staring, an uneasy smile spreading on her face now.

"What, mamá--"

"I had a dream about fish--"

"Don't do this to me again!" she groaned, "first es abuela, now you. Come on now."

"I'm serious this time, Mimi," she defended herself, "me and mamá had a dream about fish, and it points to you."

Yemi groaned. "I'm not pregnant, mamá."

"Check first."

"I'm safe, though!"

"How?"

"I'm not telling you, that's personal."

"Yemi," she laughed, "stop it."

"I'm serious! I have birth control and morning after pills, I'm pretty set on this whole thing."

"So?" Valentina shrugged, "súper esperma."

"It's not super sperm, mamá," she giggled, covering her mouth, "please don't jinx me. Please."

"Here," Valentina went in her bag while Yemi huffed. She pulled out two separate pregnancy tests.

"Why are these in your bag, huh?" Yemi took both and kept them in her hands.

"Because...I had a dream."

"Shusha mamá," Yemi put them in her own purse and crossed her arms, "you're so difficult to persuade, I hope you know. How am I gonna tell Zayn if I'm pregnant?"

"Say. Zayn, estoy embarazada. He doesn't know Spanish."

"It's that easy, wow," she rolled her eyes, "wait 'til daddy finds out. ¡Él va a explotar!"

"He's gonna be very happy. God knows your brother wasn't going to do anything."

"Honestly, he's twenty one!"

"No me importa," she rolled her eyes, looking just like Yemi, "I just want grandbabies."

"Shusha, mamá."

"Baby."

"Yes, bebe?" Yemi turned around in her seat. Zayn was set to be discharged in a few hours, and he just couldn't stop moving. He wanted to leave already.

"What time is it?"

"Five," she replied, stuffing her face with a chicken sandwich.

Now, this was not from her being pregnant -- because she wasn't, no -- this was stress eating. Stress because...she might be pregnant, but it was too early to tell, especially if there weren't any real symptoms besides being tired. And when did that ever mean someone was pregnant? Yemi had been on her feet for the past few weeks, making sure her business was running smoothly while also catering -- she loved it -- to her two boys.