CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN: Shattered

The preliminaries had seemed so far away, but now they just look like reality. Hanako stood in line with the other Jounin tutors of the Genin who made it through the second test. Kakashi stood beside her, with his hands inside his pockets. He had tried a few times to start a conversation with the brunette but every time she would ignore him.

When he had come that morning to her apartment to let her know about the preliminaries, she was a mess. She had arranged her hair into a bun, without combing it, letting some stray hairs fall around her face. There were dark bags under her eyes, dry tears down her cheeks. She had taken off her ninja clothes, and put on a simple t-shirt and baggy pants.

She was staring off the window when Kakashi opened the door. She didn't bother to look at him, and even now in front of so many people, she still refused to look at him.

"Hanako, are you okay?" he had asked, but she ignored him. Kakashi bit his lip, entered the apartment and locked the door behind him. Hanako heard the lock, but didn't do anything about it. The Jounin stood in front of the brunette. Hanako didn't make eye contact. It was as if she had zoned out, like the trances she would often get into when Amane controlled her body; but her hair was chocolate and her eyes were pit black. It was Hanako. "Hey," Kakashi placed a hand on her cheek and retreated it immediately. She was freezing cold. The Uchiha didn't even react to the touch. "Hanako," Kakashi's voice was downed in concern as he crouched in front of her. His face was in front of her but her eyes were still lost. "Tell me what's wrong," he ushered. But Hanako didn't respond. She barely blinked.

Giving up, Kakashi sighed and stood up. "There are going to be preliminaries," he walked away from her. Hanako's eyes finally moved and skimmed towards his location, but the Jounin didn't notice. She was seeing his back as he picked up her clothes, which were scattered around the room. "We have to be there to watch the matches."

Preliminaries, there was a sour taste in her mouth. Hanako clenched her fists, remembering Shun's death on her behalf. His blood tainting her hands.

She didn't say anything.

Kakashi approached her and placed her ninja stuff beside her. "Can you change or do I have to change you?" he asked tiredly. Hanako's eyes were fixed on the floor, she remained silent. Kakashi reached to take her shirt off but in a moment she had picked up her clothes and rushed towards the bathroom. She locked herself in. Hanako had hoped he would leave her alone, that he wouldn't care what was going on with her. But she was wrong again. Kakashi was concerned. He cared about her, and that just made it all more difficult.

Behind the door, Hanako could feel tears threatening her eyes again. She fell to her knees and sobbed quietly. From the other side, Kakashi listened to her as he leaned on the door.

He walked away, Hanako needed her space, and he would give it to her. He didn't mind being late anyway. He lay on the bed and closed his eyes. Whatever was wrong with Hanako, whatever was she hiding from everyone that had her in this condition: Did Itachi know, or was he the reason of her behavior?

Inside the room, Hanako couldn't stop sobbing. She tried her best to prevent Kakashi from hearing her. Taking a few deep breaths to calm down, the girl stood up, and walked towards the mirror and looked at her reflection. Hanako flinched at the black bags under her eyes and at the exhausted look on her irises.

Hanako sighed and sought among her things for the small eye drop container Orochimaru had given her. She pressed her lips into a thin line as her grasp around the plastic tightened. Hanako looked at herself through the mirror. She needed those drops, they were the only thing that kept her from suddenly screaming out in pain from the constant burning in her eyes.