Chapter twelve

I wake up in a bed. It takes a while for me to come to completely. Everything comes back to me in a rush. The dwarves, elves, and Sav. I open up my eyes and sit up quickly, causing me to yell out in pain.

"Take it easy, lady Patricia." I hear a voice say as a pair of hands help me to lay back down. It's Gandalf. I look around and see that I'm in a white tent

"Kili. Fili." I weep. Gandalf looks remorseful, sighing.

"Yes.. But you need rest. Do not worry about that now."

"I tried to save Kili- I tried. But I couldn't. I couldn't make it. I failed." I cry, attempting to sit up again. There are bandages wrapped around my torso, constricting my movement. "It's all Sav's fault." I say, attempting to get out of bed

"You need to lay down, Lady Patricia." Gandalf says, trying to keep me seated

"No! I Need to tell Thorin!"

"You are injured! You need rest!"

"Thorin needs to know!"

"Thorin is gone. Azog.." He says, trailing off. I stop my movement.

"You're lying. Thorin had to have survived. He had to!" I cry, pushing past him. Thorin can't be dead. He just can't. Dwalin was there. He would have saved Thorin.

"He did not survive. The line of Durin has ended." Gandalf says

"No..." I cry, holding onto Gandalf for support.

"I'm sorry." He says, hugging me.

"I want to see their bodies."

"I will take you to see them, after you rest."

"No. I want to see them now." I say, pushing away from him.

"I see you're up." A voice says from behind me. I look and see Thranduil and Bard standing in the entrance of the tent. Bard was the one who spoke.

"We did not know if you'd awaken for some time." Thranduil speaks

"I want to see them." I say, tears still falling.

Yes.. of course." Thranduil says as Gandalf hands me off to Bard, him supporting most of my weight. We slowly make our way out of the tent and through Dale, into a building where there are three tables with white sheets on them, and on top of the sheets lay Fili, Kili, and Thorin's lifeless bodies. I let gp of Bard and walk around them all, weeping silently. As I pass by Kili's, I notice something in his hand. It's a stone, with some carvings on it. I take his hand in mine and close it around the stone more, kissing his hand. It is as cold as ice.

"You still owe me that ale." I say quietly as I put his hand back on the table, tears falling freely. I walk to Fili next.

"I'm so sorry, Fili." I say, moving a bit of hair from his face and kissing his forehead. His skin is frozen, much like Kili's "Sav should have listened to Thorin. I'm so, so, sorry" I cry. I wipe my eyes and move onto Thorin.

"The king under the mountain.. The king who never even got to rule. May you rule a kingdom in heaven." I cry. "And I do not blame you for what has happened. It was the dragon sickness. You were not like this before the gold." I say, before also kissing his head. "None of you deserved this." I cry, before going back to Bard. He leads me back to the medical tent where Thranduil and Gandalf are talking. Bard helps me to sit back down on the bed, and as I do, a young boy comes in. I recognise him from somewhere.

"Lady Nostariel! You're awake! I shall go and get my mother right away!" The boy says, and I remember why I know him. He was the boy who brought me food when I first arrived in Mirkwood. A healer's son. He runs out, and not much later, comes back in with a woman that resembles the boy, or more that the boy resembles the woman.