Tears|13

M I K E

I slowly begin to turn the doorknob of the basement door, trying not to make any noise. It's probably 3am and my family is asleep, so I'll just say hello to them when they wake up. They have probably been searching for me, tearing themselves apart. Or maybe they haven't. All I knows that things won't be the same when we meet up again. When I think about it, that doesn't really matter anymore. I've lost El, I've lost myself, and I've lost my mind. I really don't have anything else to lose, and I don't have a purpose to live. Sure, I may have family, but they would be okay without me. My mom and Nancy would probably take it pretty hard, but my Dad would get over it within days. Holly wouldn't even remember me. Maybe it would be for the better. Maybe if I just end my life now, I could finally be set free.

The first thing I see when I walk through the door is El's fort, which causes me to break down in tears. I fall onto the pillows and blankets, which still have her lingering scent. My tears soak into them, and my fingers grip them so hard my knuckles turn white. God, I want her back so bad.

"M-Mike?" I head, and raise my head up. Nancy stands at the bottom of the staircase, fresh tears streaming down her cheeks. "Oh my god, Mike!"

She runs over to me, crouches down, and wraps me up in her arms. I hug her back, and sob into her chest. "I was so worried about you," she cries. I hug her even tighter.

Maybe I do have people that are here for me. Maybe I do have a caring family.
Maybe I do have a reason to live.

"I miss her so much," I cry, feeling more pain than I ever have before.
"I just had her back. I just-and then she was gone and-"

Pain-it's a feeling, one that makes your heart want to stop beating and your stomach start churning. It's not only physical, but mental. There's so many different types of pain, but the pain of losing someone you love, that's one like no other. The pain of losing someone you love is worse than being burned alive. It's worse than a broken bone, or even a million. It makes you want to stop living, while other types of pain make you want to keep surviving. It has more of an effect than anything. If you truly love someone, the pain of losing them will never find its way out of the labyrinth of your heart, and it hasn't even started to make its way through mine. I lost El once, and I was lucky enough to find her, but now I know that she will never even attempt to bring me back to that place. She will stay there and suffer until she dies, because she doesn't want to hurt anyone else. If she had just died a short, painless death, I would probably be so much better off. For some people dwell over the past, but I fear what is to come.

I will never love anyone like I loved El, and now I have to live with myself knowing she's suffering.

Pain, it's worse than the devil. It has found its way into my life, and I don't know if it'll ever leave.

. . .
G R A C I E

I scream, again and again. I don't know when I'll ever be able to stop, or if my throat will ever heel from the soreness it's going through right now. I squirm, cry, and sob as the strange boy injects me with drugs that make my blood seem like led. My heart feels like it's being crushed by an elephant's foot, and the rest of my body parts are in indescribable pain. He brings out a taser, and I'm almost sure it's over. Honestly, I would be glad if it was over.

But on the inside, I know it's not. I know that the last little bit of me that hasn't been broken will fight until my dying breath. That is my fatal flaw, and it's finally starting to take its turn in my life.

My body is shocked, and I feel like all of my organs are being burned to a crisp. After a minute of that, which seems like hours, he finally stops.

"Why are you doing this?" I ask in a pleading voice.

He looks at me, his eyes evil like a snake. His smirk just reflects pure wicked, and I can almost see the devil horns growing out of his head.

"Because someone was a bad girl," he says, like he's talking to a baby. It makes me want to throw up.

"You didn't give us permission to use your body for something very important, and until you do, we will keep hurting you."
His voice slowly turns from baby-talk to villain. "We will torture you until the light leaves your eyes, and you burn in hell for the rest of your life. We will torture you until you break, one way or another. Now, we need your consent on recording, something about the people we get the equipment from. You will give it to us, and we will reward you when it's over. Your body will not be harmed, and you were an easy target."

I look at him, my eyes filled with anger and confusion. "Why me? I'm a child, who had light in my eyes and hope for the future. Sure, my sister died, but I was coping. What do you need my body for? Whatever it is, just go ahead and kill me, because I am not giving you any sort of satisfaction," I spit, my throat on fire.

"We need you to help us. With the right drugs, we could make you extraordinary. And you will help us destroy some monsters that lurk the earth. There are 11 to be exact. These monsters that have escaped from their prison. Monsters that look like humans, who become friends with kids like you," he says, and I can tell he's hinting something to me.

Wait, I know who he's talking about. Monsters that look like humans, who become friends with kids like you.

No, I am not giving my consent until I'm dead on the floor. Because I am not going to kill the children who had no choice but to be tortured, who just wanted to be set free.

"Not until my dying breath," I say, in the darkest voice I possibly can manage. My hoarse throat makes it even worse.

He opens the door, looks back at me, and gives me a terrifying smile. And with that, he's gone.

I stare at the ceiling, knowing that I will die in this awful place. My death will probably be as unknown as my sister's, but I don't care at this point. I just want to escape this torture called life and spread my wings.

I hear the door creak open, and I prepare myself for more pain.
But that pain never comes.

A girl steps in, softly closing and locking the door behind her.
"Who are you?" I ask, surprised that even kids are involved with my torturing. She looks about my age, with long red hair and blue eyes.

"I'm Max," she says. "And I'm gonna get you out of here."

YES MAX AHAH
I CRIED IN THE MIKE PART I CANT
AND ITS ALMOST 1AM BUT I TOLD SOMEONE I WOULD UPDATE
AND NO PROOF READING SRRY IF THERE ARE MISTAKES
BUT IM ON SPRING BREAK SO SLEEP IS NOW FOR THE WEAK
ENJOY MY THREE READERS WHO ACTUALLY GIVE FEEDBACK AND VOTE
YOU ARE THE REAL MVP'S

Lauren