Dead|19

N A N C Y

"...and the body was found earlier today, pulled from the quarry by a bystander. The autopsy had been performed, and it is confirmed that he had jumped to his death. Today, we have received the heartbreaking news that young Micheal Wheeler is, in fact, dead."

No, no, no. He isn't. This can't be true. He was just here. I had just saw him. I had just got my brother back. He's still here. No, no, no. He is alive. He was... I just... I can't do this anymore.

Why would he kill himself? Was it me? Was it her? He just escaped, I remembered when no one else did. Now, I'm alone. But he isn't dead. But he is.

My parents cry from downstairs, my little sister from her room, and me in his. His presence isn't gone. He isn't dead. But his body, I saw it.

Insane. Insane. I'm going insane. That's what everyone will call me, that'll be my new name. Because that's what I am now, and I'm too broken to go back.

Gone. Broken. Insane. Mad. Dead. Moonstruck.

That's all I am. That's all I know.

L U C A S
THE NEXT DAY

"Lucas Sinclair."
"Here."
"Amelia Thomas."
"Here."
"Jackson Williams."
"Here."
"Micheal Wheeler."

A silent hush falls over the room, along with sad and awkward stares. The clueless teacher looks around, confused on why no one is saying anything and why the usual constant whispers have stopped.

"Well, is he here or not?" She asks, and the room remains silent. Nobody speaks for about 30 seconds, before I finally hear a voice.

"He died last night." A girl with red hair says, staring at the floor. I think her name is Gracie, but she's usually not very outgoing.

Micheal Wheeler. I... I don't have memories of him. I know that he had that weird outburst a few days ago, when he acted like he knew Will and I. Everybody else seems like they have known him for years, but I hadn't seen him at all before then. For some reason, I have faint images of him in my mind. I just can't remember. I don't know what's going on, but I do know that he killed himself. I feel like I was a part of it, even though I know I don't know him. I just need to calm down.

The day dreadfully goes on, with a speech by Mr. Clarke on how great of a student Micheal was. He sheds some tears, and I just look around confused. I didn't know he was so close to this student. Mr. Clarke was like a father figure to me last year, but I don't remember him having any connection to Micheal Wheeler.

Okay, I just need to let this go. Whoever he was, he's dead now. I need to move on, before I end up just like him.

Getting my mind off the subject, I watch as that one boy with curly hair stares at me. Dustin, I think. In his eyes is a spark, along with some tears, and I don't know where it's coming from. I look away and stare at the gym floor. This week has been a mess. My whole life has been a mess lately.

"Micheal Wheeler's death will certainly leave a hole in the community. He had potential, and such a big future. I will greatly miss him, as I know many of you will as well. But we must move on, because he was not a boy of dwelling over the past, but one of forgetting and moving on."