Funeral|21

L U C A S
1 week later
Basically everyone remembers everything now, including the families. Hawkins Lab's memory stuff didn't last.

It didn't take us too long to realize.
Those people can't take everything away from us, especially our friendship.

Dustin was the first that came up to Will and I, just about a week ago. He was with Gracie Holland, and I didn't know what they'd been through together then. But now, I feel more sorrow for them than anything. He explained what had happened, told Will and I that we were all friends, and said that some lab people had taken our memory away. I slowly started to gain it back, and by now, I remember everything. Will said that he had been getting small bits and pieces of his memory back before. Like I said, they can't take everything away from us. There was a flaw in their little attempt to take our memory away, and now, I want to kill those people more than ever.

The worst part of this whole situation was about two weeks ago, when I remembered everything I had been through with Mike. Mike.
He didn't have the same situation as Will did. They pulled his body out of the quarry, and from what I saw on the newspaper, it was definitely him. Some of his limbs were messed up, and his body was cold and blue, but it was him. When I remembered about him, about what had happened, I cried for days. I lost all my strength, and I blamed myself. My best friend, whom I had forgotten about. I let him die, I let him kill himself. People will tell me that it isn't my fault, but deep down, I know it is. I shouldn't have let him run off. It was my duty to watch over him, and I failed. He's dead now, and I will never forgive myself.

As I tighten my black tie around my neck, tears threaten to spill. His funeral, it's today. And I'm giving a eulogy. It was just so unexpected, but the boys decided that I do it.

"Ready to go?" My dad asks, and I nod, turning around. I didn't notice the tears flowing down my cheeks. He pats me on the shoulder, and together, we begin to drive to the funeral of my dead best friend.

•••

"...Micheal Wheeler's life will forever live in our hearts. It is such a pity that God had for taken someone so young, with so much to live for. However, we must live on." The preacher drones on, and I'm not even sure if he means a single word. I look down at my lap and silently let the tears fall, and I feel a comforting hand on my shoulder. I look over at Dustin, who is looking at me with tears in his eyes. Gracie is doing the same, tightly gripping his hand. And Will, it just seems like he isn't even here.

"And now we have a eulogy from Mike's friend, Lucas," I hear, and quickly wipe the wet tears from my face.

I walk up to the podium and let the words flow out of my mouth. "I met him when we were in kindergarten. I had brought my dungeons and dragons action figure for show and tell, and he happened to have the same one. Little did I know that was the start of an indestructible friendship. Him, Dustin, Will, and I, we've been together for what seems like forever. Mike was my brother, and losing him feels like a thousand pounds of force on my shoulders. I wish you were still here, Mike," I say, forgetting the audience of people. "God, I wish you were still here."

And with that, I begin to uncontrollably break down in tears. I walk back to my seat with my head down, trying to control the storm of tears coming down, but it's no use. I get a hug from Dustin and Will, but it only makes me cry more. When reality strikes, it hurts. Mike isn't here again. I will never play another game with him again, or stay up late at night talking to him on the supercom, or laugh with him during school. We will never go on bike rides or adventures in the woods again. I will never be able to spill my feelings, or help him with his. He's gone, and he's never coming back.

I raise my head up, and suddenly feel a drop of rain on my face. I look up at the sky, seeing sudden storm clouds move in. Just minutes ago, it was a sunny, clear sky.

I look around and make eye contact with Dustin and Will, and they seem to notice something weird going on too.

And all of a sudden, rain falls down like a tidal wave. Thunder shakes the ground, lightening strikes the trees. I hear murmurs, some startled screams, but I remain frozen with shock. Something is going on, something is about to happen.

"What the heck is going on?" Dustin yells through the loud sound of rain, and I just keep staring ahead. Some people start to run to their cars, and some frantically look around, not wanting to leave the funeral.

I feel my clothes getting drenched, and my mom starts to help me get up. "We need to go," she says, but I shake my head. " I am not leaving Mike's funeral just because of some rain," I say, sitting back down. I see that Mike's close family and friends' families are still here, but others are starting to leave.

I feel a sudden burst of thunder shake the ground, stronger than I've ever felt before. I let out a little gasp, calming down my breathing. I have no idea what's happening, but I have a feeling I'm about to find out. I look ahead, and suddenly, a giant flash of lightening comes down and strikes the casket, just about 20 feet in front of me. This startled me even more than the thunder, and I put my hand over my chest.
"What in the world..." I mutter, wondering why lightening would hit the casket instead of the surrounding trees that are much taller. I look at Dustin, Will, and Gracie, and they seem just as confused as me.

My confusion reaches its limit when I see the casket fly open. Maybe it was just the wind, I think, but I know it wasn't. Slowly, I walk over to the open casket, not knowing what's inside or what has happened to it. It looks burned from the lightening, and I wonder if it did anything to the body.

I walk closer and closer, my breathing getting shakier by the second. And as soon as I get in sight, as soon as I get close enough to see, I fall to my knees. The sight alone makes me want to pass out.

Behind the casket rises a young girl, in which I do not know, who stares at her own hands in shock. In the casket lie Mike Wheeler and Eleven, both with rising chests and closed eyes.

YO WHAT WAS THAT HAH
SORRY AND YOU'RE WELCOME
IDK WHAT HAPPENED TBH BUT ILL FIGURE SOMETHING OUT
HOPEFULLY THIS IS STILL GOOD IF NOT OH WHALE IMA KEEP GOING
AND THE MUSIC IS JUST TO HELP ME GET A FEEL GOING FOR WRITING SO I WOULD RECOMMEND LISTENING TO IT WHILE U READ BUT YOU DONT HAVE TO

Lauren