New Beginnings

Arrington Noel Cruz
May 31, 1991

"Congratulations baby girl. I'm so proud of you, you're finally a high school graduate." My dad said as he kissed my forehead. My mom stood there taking pictures of me nonstop.

"Thanks daddy. Mommy put the camera down. We have enough pictures."

"Oh fèmen bouch. You're my only child I gotta get all the memories. You're gonna be leaving me soon to go to New York and be with the stars."

I laughed at her exaggeration. "I'll just be writing songs for other artists mom. It's a great opportunity, plus I'm not that far."

My dad straight faced me. "Honey New York is pretty far from Florida."

"There's always planes now let's go celebrate me graduating."

My name is Arrington Noel Cruz. I am 18 years old from Naples, FL. I am of Haitian and Dominican descent; I am the only child; and I got the amazing opportunity to be a writer at the new label uptown records. My best friend Kayla is Andre Harrell's niece and she let him read a couple of my lyrics and bam here I am. I'm scheduled to leave this Sunday. My parents are pretty sad but still proud nonetheless.

After celebrating with my parents, we got home and I finished packing up my things. When I was placing some bags by the door my mom walked in.

"Honey someone is here to see you." I nodded and walked out behind her.

When I got downstairs I saw Jason. Jason and I were together till I told him I was moving to New York and he just dropped me talking about he "doesn't do long distance." I scolded him as I got closer.

"Why are you here?" I asked with clear venom in my voice.

"Baby I'm sorry. I was just scared. How're we gonna be together?"

"If you truly loved me, it would've worked out, but you don't so there's no need to be talking. I gotta go to bed. I have a flight to catch. You can go now." I pushed him out the door locked it and returned to my room. I believe in second chances but I don't believe everyone deserves them.

I laid down in my bed thinking about how my life was soon to change. Once I get to New York I'll be staying in a hotel till I find a place. I'm just excited for new scenery, Florida can be so boring sometimes. I drifted off into sleep and woke up to my mom coming in my room.

"Ari leve bebe. You're gonna be late to your plane. Ale yon beny." She said as she walked out.

I got up and took a shower for 20 minutes. When I got out I checked the time that said 5:32am. I had to be on the plane by 7. I got dressed in some fitted sweats and a half shirt. I put my curls into a high bun and made my way downstairs for breakfast. I kissed my dad on the forehead as well as my mom.

"Morning niña." My dad said as he sipped some coffee.

"Morning daddy."

"You ready to be independent?" He asked looking over at me as my mom placed my meal in front of me.

"Of course. I've been independent since I was born." My parents laughed as I continued to eat. Once it was 6 my mom made us get in the car and my dad loaded my bags. We drove to the airport in comfortable silence. When we arrived we walked to my gate and it was time to board. I kissed and hugged my parents goodbye as we shed some tears.

I quickly searched for my seat as I got on the plane. I put my bags away and put my headphones on. I started thinking about everything. For the first time I'm going to now be on my own. Making decisions for myself, I was scared yet excited. As the plane took off I found myself drifting into a slumber.