25: Recovery

Author's note:
Hey people! I'm in New York being bored in front of Trump Tower, but I wrote this for you on a bus ^^ Enjoy!
Oh, and I have something to tell you on the bottom of the page ❤

Jiraiya POV:
I closed the book after I finished reading him the last page and he stared at me expectantly.

"And that's all, what did you think?"

"I-I-t'ss o-over-r?" He stuttered out.

The damn book was all he had when he was recovering in the beginning, it's all we knew what to do with him. Stretching each chapter out to last and getting him excited to have the next page read to him only worked for so long. Even during our meetings, Sasuke and even Anko would read it to him.

I feel bad about not being able to spend more time with him, but I did the best I could do. Between finding more information on what the Akasuki are planning and reporting it to the Hokage and the meetings, there just wasn't time to be with him, but I knew that what I was doing was best for him.

The meetings had been going on for a while now. We had planned out how to keep Naruto safe, what medications and coping methods we could use to help him in his mentally unstable state, and how he would live. The sad truth was, the Akasuki was at it's peak, and none of us had the resources to fight back.

That was the only reason we'd kept him in the hospital so long, to protect him and make sure that we knew how to comfort him. It was the only place where we were all there to protect him and all the resources were given if his state worsened.

It had been 15 weeks of this now, and it was decided. Naruto would be taken care of by Kakashi. Some of us were doubtful, but soon realized that it was the best choice. Of course I offered to take care of him, but it became evident that it would interfere with my work in finding more about the Akasuki and what they were planning. Tsunade wanted to help him so bad, and she was, but she needed to give her duties to the village.  Kakashi had been studying Post Traumatic Stress, and had experienced it more than any of us. He also had the best fighting capabilities as well as the correct training to help with Naruto's condition. We all knew how much Kakashi wanted this.

But today was special, today was Naruto's 13th birthday, and we wanted to make it special. In a week it would be settled, Naruto would be discharged from the hospital. We knew that he'd never be fully the same, but the least we could do was help him cope and make him happier. We were just trying to make him forget.

-back to present-

"Well kiddo, you know the drill. I'll go get Tsunade then after some breakfast I hear that your team might be paying a visit."

Naruto smiled and tugged his sheet up. "Um, s-sensei?" He asked.

"Hmm?" I responded carefully.

"I-it's a little c-cold." He stuttered shyly.

I grabbed the extra blanket folded in the chair next to me, usually used for whoever stayed the night watching him.

"Better?" I asked. As I lay the cloth over his fragile frame.

He nodded and closed his eyes.

God, it shouldn't be like this. In the past few months, we've carefully discussed what will and won't hold Naruto back in the future. The stuttering wasn't too big of a problem, it was something that could be dealed with. But, in the topic of being a ninja, there was just too many variables. Emotionally, he might have a panic attack if any suppressed memories come back from the events that occurred, and missions might trigger them. But physically was the real challenge. After going through what he did, his brain decided to shut down. His brain had to relearn the basic commands to his nervous system; how to move his arms, hands, and just walking proved a challenge. The physical therapy had help, but we really didn't want to push him too hard right now.

I knocked on Tsunades door and gave it a light push open. At this, she brought her head off the desk and tied her messy hair back and smiled. It was sad to see such a strong shinobi brought down to this, but between having to do all the work for the village and helping Naruto recover, it was surprising she was still standing.

I gave her a slight nod and she went to a little plastic tray and got a small Styrofoam cup of oatmeal in it, a spoon, nutrient injections for his I.V., and his meds. She then left the room, feet dragging slightly.

I waited for a few minutes until in came Kakashi with Sasuke and Sakura walked in, Sasuke bearing a small chocolate cake in his arms.

"Good morning!" I said to the small group.

"Good morning" Kakashi said back, staring at his book.

"Well, let's go get started, we don't have much time to prepare." And at that, the four of them vanished.

Author's note: *please read* Next chapter will be Naruto's birthday. Okay, now I'm excited to announce that THIS STORY HAS A RANKING NOW!!!! AND IT'S ALL THANKS TO YOU GUYS!! Currently, we're #932 in fanfiction ☺ You all are so amazing and I appreciate everything you do: whether it's just reading, voting, commenting, adding to your reading lists, or telling friends about my story, you guys are helping me so much and I truly appreciate it. Until next time, you beautiful humans ❤ I hope that you have a wonderful day.