Part 3

Well, not much to tell

Well, not much to tell. I'd seen quite a bit of this and that, running around in the big unknown for two years on my lonesome.

You left home when you were seven?

Yeah. I was kinda lazy, and we had a big family. Most wild Pokémon in my area left home when they were five, though they'd generally come back from time to time after shows of aggression by trainers or other Pokémon. Or just if they were cold and scared. Lakota probably only left home when he was seven, when you got him, 'cos he's a golden Pokémon. One of my sisters was a golden electrike, and she was taken from us before she was one. Don't know how that researcher even found us, she was so well hidden by mum and dad. I'm betting Lakota was taken straight from the nest, as an egg.

Anyway, it was just a regular day. Was going to be my birthday soon, and I'd just taken on a few spearow. Hey, have you described the Pokémon ageing system yet?

Nope. Never really understood it myself.

Huh. Well, it's a mixture of human age and exp. For the first five years, most wild Pokémon gain a level a year. From there, if a 5-year-old Lv.5 Pokémon grew anywhere from lv.7+, they could age two years in one year. From lv.10 and age 10 it can be up to 4 age-years a year. Once they hit 20 years, it's back to 1 level a year, though apparently some Pokémon continue gaining 2 levels/years each year for a while. Changes between species, sometimes. Depends on your evolution level.

Still makes no sense.

Well, the important thing was that I was finally going to have two birthdays in one year and I was feeling pretty excited. Lv.10, and I would turn 10 in my ninth year of life. Sweet, eh?

Noooo sense whatsoever.

Ok, just pretend that it's simpler and we count age in levels instead of years. But once we reach a certain level, like say 20, we decide to count using years again.

You realise I've been explained this countless times? I know all the ways of saying it, but I really don't understand the whole thing. Professor Willow said it's because Pokémon age with years, but mature with levels. So you can have a five-year-old with the maturity of a 50-year-old.

That works. Anyway, it was a beautiful day, with spearow heading away from my awesome thundershocks-

You didn't know thundershock then! You could barely tackle, you liar!

Well, my papa was in the next paddock, and those birds were running from anything that could be related to him. Anyway, I decided that since I was nearly in the double-digits, I should settle down, get myself a trainer, become top of some league, maybe find Marilyn (my golden sister) again. Most of my siblings rathered becoming strong and wild and free, but I wanted purpose.

Since my thoughts were mainly on Marilyn (golden sister), I obviously overreacted when I saw a flash of pure gold coming over the hill. And there he was: Lakota.

He was fluttering around, screeching at this little spearow now and then-

Am I literally the only one who did not see a spearow out there?

Probably. Anyway, before I realised he was some bouncy ball of spearow-like gold and not a quadruped electric awesome thing, I was almost on top of you guys. Next thing I knew, some vines landed the world's weakest vine whip on me, and I was in a pokeball.

Sorry, guess that was a bit rude of me.

Eh. Not many trainers who would take some random Electrike like me, 'specially that young. Too young to be bothered with manners. So, yeah. I was on the team, and I was ready to be the most glorious little ball of electric fluff you had ever seen.

...Hey, Haedis? What did you guys think of me, back then? Honestly?

Well, I was just out there strutting my stuff. Allah though... I think she was worried.

What do you mean, worried?

She was easily the weakest of us. She thought she would be cut away, forgotten. Not a part of the team. And she wouldn't listen to anything Lakota said. He was golden. All trainers love goldens. And at the 'rate' you were catching Pokémon, she was worried that you'd just... forget about her.

I wouldn't-

She was scared, White.

...what do you mean?

I know you're just getting used to the lot of us. Learning about our pasts. We all had families. And Allah... she was very close to hers.

She still meets them.

But she didn't know she would. She had been torn from her home, thrown into a whole new world. She didn't know what to expect. If you didn't want her, she could be released... or sent on wondertrade. Some Pokémon love the thrill of wondertrade – my pal Jimminy the Pidgey spent months in it, dancing between trainers. Some gain great trainers. But some... some are just regected, and they don't know how to cope. Allah would've been one of those. And she'd never have seen her family: Snivy and Piplup. Not again.

I guess I wasn't thinking much about any of you back them... I'm-

Don't say it. We already know.

... what you can say though, is how glad you are that you have the most epic electric type in the world on your team. Can't wait to beat-

SPOILERS! You can leave the diary if you're going to leave spoilers, Haedis!

Heh. You better get on to Miss Attitude then.

Miss Attitude?

She was a weedle. A weeeeedleeeee.

Calm down.

So yeah. I had 'the most epic electric type in the world' on my team, and the next Pokémon I saw was easily one of my favourites, though I never did see my very favourite: Magikarp.

A weedle.

Well, I didn't really see her as such.

I more tripped over her, and nearly got a spike in my leg. I'm pretty sure that would've been fatal, 'cos she's a poison type.

I didn't even have to battle her, she happily joined the team. Hey, why not follow the previous stuff and get her to say what happened?