Chapter 2 - In Which Kylo Ren and Rey Go To Bed

(Chapter rating: M)

The hour finally grew late.

Ren knew what he should do, but he had too much pride to sleep on the floor on his wedding night. He did have his dignity. If he accommodated her personal space tonight, she would come to expect it. The wall between them would never be broken if he didn't set a standard of behavior.

The bed was large enough. He could sleep on the corner of one side, leaving a large divide between them. That would be enough for tonight. He rarely compromised and couldn't believe he was doing so now. She alone had the privilege of his tolerance and compassion.

He undid his boots, and dutifully removed the rest of this clothing; folding his dress uniform away in a laundry drawer, save for his comfortable black skivvies. He gave his wife a fleeting glance. If only he had the power to enchant the goddess the same way she savaged his emotions. She was nervous again, intensely wide-eyed by his inviting actions.

He reclined back, finding the right sleeping position. "Don't be afraid. I am tired," he reassured her. "I will make small allowances tonight. I only want to rest comfortably. I normally sleep nude and expect to do so again in the future. Now, if you would, please, turn off the light."

He waited. He didn't turn over, or look up. But he felt her staring at him. The very thought of it burned him inside. He wondered what sort of idea she had as she beheld her husband's body for this first time. Was it an image that pleased her? He could easily know the answer. Yet, today he'd faced enough near rejection.

Finally, after some consideration, perhaps inner conflict, she turned off the light. The soft, ambivalent running lights along the baseboard of the wall created a faint glow. Ren had always considered it dark enough to sleep, but dim enough to see in case of an alert.

She paused again. He would see what she would do. If she moved to sleep on the floor, he would stop her. Pride or not, he'd offer her the bed and humble himself at the foot of Vader's helmet. Moments ticked away. Ultimately, she gave into comfort. He heard the sound, felt the shift of the mattress, as she climbed on and settled in the opposite corner.

So, she would share his bed. From a certain point of view, he could save face. He wouldn't have to lie, entirely, tomorrow in front of the whole First Order. It was the first night Kylo Ren slept with his wife.