Ocean Of Night (Bucky x Reader) (M)

"If they wipe me again, I'll know you have what's left of me

"If they wipe me again, I'll know you have what's left of me. My past, my heart, it's safe with you."

---

An ocean of stars shone against an ebony sky, the slow movement of the clouds giving you a sense of calm. Twirling the soft blades between your fingers you lie back in the grass, the cold of the earth seeping into your skin.

Away from this place; this quiet, your mind tore itself apart. The constant feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach an unpredictable warning, leaving you constantly on edge. Closing your eyes you let it flow back into the earth, all the anger and sadness that had been bottled up inside.

Footsteps and rustling grass gave the man away and you watched his dark figure emerge from the shadows. He sat down across from you and placed his backpack on the ground beside him. While he dug out a notebook he glanced over and gave you a familiar smile; one that never quite reached his eyes, the bright blue iris' darkened with sadness.

You return his smile and lie back in the grass, occasionally glancing over at him as he starts to write, his eyes creasing up in concentration. You always willed yourself to speak to him, never finding the words. Staying silent again you begin to drift off into a light sleep. Just his presence made you feel safe, a sharp contrast to your first encounter that felt like forever ago.

Crashing into the clearing his muscular figure took purposeful steps, boots scuffing up the earth as he stopped just before the edge, dark hair blowing wildly around his face.

Carefully and silently you observe him with a mixture of fear and fascination. His body was shaking, radiating a desperate anger, his eyes glistening with tears. The uniform he wore was torn and dirty, crimson stains littered his chest.

Moonlight reflected off his metal arm and you gasped, watching the plates moving as he clenched his fists.

The sensible part of your brain told you to run. He could be dangerous, crazy, a murderer - anything, yet you felt a need to stay, to help.

A painful scream echoed around the clearing. His scream. You covered your ears, the sound ripping through your heart.

He took a step forward and you scrambled to your feet, walking across to stand beside him at the edge, not daring to look at the vast drop beneath your feet. Perhaps he wouldn't jump but you didn't want to take that chance.

Gently, you took his metal hand in yours, entwining your fingers and guiding him backwards a few steps, hoping the gesture wouldn't get you killed.

His eyes focused on your hand in his, confused by your actions. You could see him debating what you wanted from him, whether he should crush your hand, whether he needed to kill you.

You tried to stay calm, you wanted to let him know it would be ok, give him some wise words of wisdom, however nerves took over and you began to ramble.