iv | four

Four : Witch

                    Four : Witch

        "i don't want to wake it up,
                  the devil in me."

                                ♣

One thing I miss, out of all others is the modern day music. They had everyone's senses heightened and the world surreal and bearable.

In my hands is a bundle of nothingness. Random flowers and other plants put together to make a bouquet. I hum along with the birds trying to put their kin to sleep with their songs. They probably hate me mimicking them, but I don't stop.

I can hear his self conscious footsteps behind mine before he clears his throat. His eyes are as blue as mine, maybe more so.

"Hey. . . Katerina." Jake says steadily despite his slightly shaking hands, he always seems to be jittery.

"Jacob." I smile and show him my bouquet of collected items. "Nature is quite beautiful, don't you agree?" I want to avoid the topics of anything troubling, but I just know Jake isn't here for a walk like I am.

"What happened with Enoch?" I flinch at his lack of hesitation. Jake stood close to me, facing away from the house and counting the stars before reset. I think he's afraid that I'll break down into a shattered mess by the way his eyes move back and forth, looking at me then the sky.

"We. . ." I sigh and surrender at the fact someone else would tell him anyway if he tried hard enough. "I like to think that Enoch and I were the originals."

I sit on the dampening grass and pick them from the dark soil. Jake sits close to me and watches my fingers become dirt covered.

"I was with Miss Peregrine before him and it was just us for a few months. Then came Victor and Bronwyn." Sadness lingers in my voice while I count the trees around us. "I was coping at the time, no sleep, no food, no speaking. And I was always around Enoch, I never left his side like a dog." I laugh and imagine what it would of been like without this family, horrible or better. Without me.

Before I let Jake have a chance at guessing what coping means I lift my sleeve and reveal a mark forever embedded in my skin, burned in.

WITCH

"I guess it's what I get for being born in such an early age of this pathetic world. The price of a peculiar." I glance up at Jake for a moment, his starry eyes are wide and vivid with both rage and sympathy.