xiv | fourteen

Fourteen : The Toad

Fourteen : The Toad

"look at the stars, look how they shine for you."

"Olive you're lying he would never." Katerina gave a small, air filled sigh at what the redhead was informing her of.

"If you don't believe me that's fine, just go upstairs and look for yourself." Olive's voice held a tone of annoyance at the nearly 500 year old, feeling just as mature as the blonde.

"Fine. I will, but if I — I. . ." Katerina had stopped her threat short, an ache coursing though veins at the unnatural stage of a homunculus being. "Victor."

Without another sound, the nearly silent footsteps of Katerina Blair echoed throughout the house, her presence seeming to make the air cold as a wave of emotions struck her right in the core.

Anger, protectiveness, betrayal, and sadness.

But then, it became silent, the cold and harsh stare of Victor seeming to pierce Katerina's soul in a menacing way.

"Hello Jake, I'm Victor. Want to know what killed me?" Katerina couldn't remember his voice, but she knew that's not what he sounded like; he was just a puppet, ready to be played with.

Katerina could sense Jake's fear and overall uncomfort when the two ocean eyes found each other's sight.

"Katerina I-" Jake began, but was instantly silenced by her ice cold stare.

"I do not wish to be spoken to Jacob as I assume this isn't what you wished, correct?" Katerina's lips moved, but she didn't feel the way her words hit the Portman boy. "Jacob, did you want this?" 

A few stuttered words was all Jake could muster, he felt ashamed of what he asked of Enoch, feeling as if he had to prove himself to Katerina as Abe did.

"He's not so golden now is he Katerina?" Enoch held a small smirk in the corner of his lips as he watched the time come up with Victor, his body laying flat and dead again.

"Jacob, if you would and will, leave Enoch and I for a few spare moments?" The blondes gaze was no longer on either or the brunettes, just on the limp and cold body in front of her.

She wasn't upset, angry, or scared, she just wondered how someone could wake something so dead again for the purpose of scaring another off.

"Please do not ask or agree to do something so violent again Enoch, Victor doesn't deserve such a thing, neither does Jacob. Abe wouldn't want that." In which Katerina expected silence, she got a scoff in reply.

"Abe, why do you care so much about those Portmans, you know Abe didn't stay, and neither will Jake. Why would they? They can have wives and families, a future, something they can't have here." Katerina grinned at the reasoning Enoch gave, he envied Jake.

The Blair girl simply intertwined her fingers with his, bringing Enoch along for her walk outside.

|

They didn't say anything on their walk to town, both thinking about the game 'Raid the Village' in which they terrorized the civilians while holding onto one another's hand, a simple gesture of their love.

"Enoch O' Connor, do not envy a man that holds everything you do. Jacob will stay, he will stay for Emma, you can't possibly be that blind can you?" Katerina began, counting exactly six steps past the bakery before turning at the exact same time Enoch did, the every-other day walk both refreshing and practiced. "It is love that keeps two people together, eventually, he'll see it clear as day."

The brunette smiled down at his bride to be one day; Claire practically bursting at the seams before telling him what happened that night in the vision.

"How do you it?" Enoch laughed out, watching the careful, practiced, and loved steps that Katerina took, it was her favourite thing to do, walk to the village and smile at the civilians.

She knew they could never accept her or the others, but it was nice to watch they're reaction, sometimes different, depending on the time her and Enoch left the house.

"How can you convince me to love him just like that?" The O'Connor boy snapped his fingers as he appreciated Katerina's way of living; the way she breathed, moved, thought — everything she did seemed to make his world brighter.

Katerina smirked, something was different.

"May we go to the water today?" The brunette's smile never faltered, his girl amazing him each time she spoke.

"Of course."

|

"A ha! Do you see? I knew they were up to something." Katerina was whisper shouting, pointing at Emma and Jake walking up to the boats as if she just solved a crime case.

"I do see, but what am I seeing, Emma is taking little Jake for a swim." The wind seemed to shift around them, sensing their forever presence. "How'd you know?" Enoch furrowed his brows, Katerina was smart, but she couldn't be that smart to predict someone's actions.

"Today was different Enoch." Katerina sighed, taking slow steps towards the blonde and brunette as if planning a sneak attack.

"How so?"

"The toad didn't hop over the dandelion. He hopped around." The Blair girl held a wicked grin, waiting for the O'Connor to ask more.

"The toad?"

"When Emma goes for a visit to the water, the toad hops around the dandelion." Enoch only nodded, trying to wrap his brain around the time and effort Katerina took to figure out that trick.

Before the brunette could stop the blonde, Katerina was carrying her dress off the ground and sprinting towards the boats.

"Emma my love!"

"Katerina and the toad; the Princess and the Flame sequel."