xviii | eighteen

Eighteen : Protect Her

"nothing in my nature tells me not to do bad things."

They stared at one another, mentally begging each other, Katerina pleading for her to not leave them and Miss Peregrine trusting her to take care of the children with her life.

Katerina flipped her hand facing Miss Peregrine, a small flame igniting with in her palm, only to be blown away — Emma's mouth in an 'o' shape.

'Don't' Emma mouthed, her eyes welling up; Jake could be killed with in seconds if Katerina did something.

"Jacob." The Blair girl said again, as if it would do something different than reassure herself that the Portman boy was in serious danger.

"Please Katerina wait." Enoch whispered, begging for his love to put her animal like instincts aside. "For Jake." He knew that whatever it was that kept Jacob so important to her, it was tied to Abe and Abe was the light within Katerina's soul, no matter how many times she forgot.

". . . so for his protection, he'd like me to assume bird form, preferably caged. He'd like you to make your way into a lockable room, such as the parlour. . ." Miss Peregrine continued, leaving a side glance towards the parlour — the children turned their heads to see Miss Avocet behind the door, shaking. ". . . as he won't release Jake if he fears an attack could be mounted upon him once he loses his leverage. Correct Mr. Barron?" If only she wasn't.

"You're sacrificing yourself and all of us for Jake?" Despite it all, Enoch still resented Jacob, for Emma and Katerina.

The two blondes only wished they could cut off his head for such a question; he was their Jacob Portman, he was part of the peculiar family.

"Mr. Barron travels with a Hollow Enoch." Miss Peregrine informed; the wickedness of another didn't just come from Barron, but a vicious monster, one Katerina knew too well.

"Only Jake can see them. She means he's our only hope." Horace's voice was nearly silent as he informed the dead riser of Jake's peculiarity.

"When it comes Enoch, we'll be dead." It was Caleb, the boy who hadn't talked unless absolutely needed. "Katerina that's how they died."

The blonde turned to face the DeLouvre, confusion flooding her mind and thoughts.

"Who died?" She asked and Caleb only scoffed.

"You can't be bloody serious Katerina. Bree, Miss Boissonneaua, Jasper, Akai, Isaac, Lily! . . . Caroline." The names meant nothing to Katerina, nothing coming back to her — they were forgotten.