the princess and the flame

There once lived a prince, who had no love in his heart, only greed, selfishness, lust, and power

His parents tried and tried to give him the love meant for a king, but failed time and time again.

You see, one cannot love, when one has no heart.

The prince was cursed with a hole in his heart, and that hole could only be filled with true love, a love meant for a king.

One day a witch came to the prince in hope of saving him by offering her hand in marriage, she turned her beauty into dirt in hopes he could see love through poverty.

But alas the prince yearned for wealth along with his greed, he sent the witch away, and so she came back again.

Her beauty was then put into air, in hopes he could see love through faith, nothing to offer him in return; she offered her hand in marriage.

Again, the prince needed something in return along with his selfishness, he sent the witch away, and so she tried again.

Her beauty was traded for water, in hopes he could see love through purity, she offered her hand in marriage; but only if he'd wait.

Another rejection, the prince wanted someone to put his lust first, he sent the witch away, and she came back for the final day.

Her beauty was morphed into flame in hopes he could see love through satisfaction, to live a life with her as his flame; she offered her hand in marriage.

But the prince needed his kingdom to keep his flame alight, he wanted the power of ruling over the people, he sent her away.

The witch smiled at the prince, his chin held high as she walked off.

"Then prince, you may never see a kiss of another soul again, otherwise, your flame will flicker and become silent." The witch sang while the prince screamed in pain, his body becoming the flame of his life.

Years and years came along and the prince spent all of his days in the highest tower of the kingdom without seeing another soul, by the time he had turned eighty-one, all of the kingdom had fallen into deep slumber, without another king, they had no life.

After the kingdom slumber the witch came back, youthful and beautiful as ever, she had come back to see if the prince had found his love yet and to her surprise, the kingdom had fallen dead with their king.

The witch searched and searched for many weeks for the prince, but she could not find him, finally she turned the world dark so that she could see his flame, and in tallest tower of the castle, a small light grew.

When the witch found the prince lying on his bed, she began to sing to him.

"My love, I offer poverty for your greed.

My life, I give nothing for your selfishness.

My death, I wait with purity for your lust.

My heart, I give you only me for your power.

My prince; I offer my hand in marriage."

The king took ahold of the witch's hand, placing his only kiss on top of the beautiful skin.

"I do my princess." Said the king before his eyes closed, his final sight his true love.

The witch placed the kiss of death upon his forehead, silencing his flame and turning it back to skin, her only kiss placed on his wrinkled forehead, her age catching up to her as she filled the hole in his heart.

When the princess removed her lips, she awoke the entire kingdom with her song and she sang her flame to a deep slumber.