xxv | twenty five

Twenty Five : Oceans Floor

"i will not kiss you"

"And then we said goodbye. . . and the loop closed. I was so scared that you wouldn't be here. That I'd never see you again." Jake finished with Katerina's peaceful look still painted in his thoughts while Abe wondered how she could die.

"I'm safe." Abe assured before it clicked in his head, a sight smirk on his lips. "Let me give you your birthday present." Jake gave a slight laugh.

"Grandpa, my birthday isn't for months." When he opened the gift, it was paper money for many parts of the world. Collected and stacked before Jake's vey blue eyes.

"For your travels." Abe thought of one thing only. A mistake he had made, but a blessing in disguise. "Go to her Jake. You have the map, you can get back to 1943."

"No, even so, they took a boat. I don't know where they are." Abe leaned forward slightly.

"But you know where they were. And one more thing." Abe sat up and stood beside his grandson.

"Anything."

"How exactly did Katerina pass?" The older Portman still was trying to put pieces together while Jake's throat seemed to close up.

"She, uh, she was too drained after she saved Olive. She had this giant gash cut out of her hip from a hollow at least 7 inches deep. If she didn't kill herself that's what killed her, why?" Jake asked, hoping the conversation would soon stop and he wouldn't have to relive the guilt and sadness again.

"How did you bury her?"

"We didn't, Emma lowered her into the ocean and pushed her body down to the sea bed." The Portman man laughed at his conclusion, then stopped and slapped the back of the boy's head. "Ow!"

"You should've known better, a girl like that can't die, things around her do. Of course she would be injured from the hollow, beasts are beyond death. Not herself or saving someone else though it's impossible. Naturally oceans full of life, she would have caught something my boy. She's alive." Abe grinned, shaking his head slightly, he studied Katerina and he knew most things about her, this was just added to the list.

"How do you know?" Jake was hesitant to ask, his eyes beaming with near joy and happiness at the fact.

Abe didn't answer, but shrugged.

"Turn around." He said, but before Jake could, a voice rippled through the air.

"Hello Jacob." It was Katerina, breathing and alive. Jake didn't take another second, instantly having his arms around her. "I'm so happy to see you Jacob, it's been one incredible ride. Dragging myself out of the ocean and all." She laughed, inhaling the familiar scent before pulling away.