iii | three

Three : Smell the Roses,              Blow out the Candle

Blow out the Candle

"i'm in love with
the shape of you."

"Jacob." The name easily flows from my chapped lips.

"You know me?" He asks as if stating it and I shrug happily.

"You probably don't remember me, but we met when you were much younger. I visited your grandfather and he gifted me many photos of you growing up." It's strange to see him so grown now, he's taller and has less fat in his cheeks. "How old are you now Jacob?"

He hesitates and looks at me oddly.

"Sixteen." Jacob's eyes flash for a second when he blurts. "How old are you?"

"Didn't your grandfather teach you it's impolite to ask a lady's age?" I laugh heavily when the Portman boy looks genuinely regretful. "I'm sixteen, well in loop time."

Emma smirks at me as if double daring me to speak our truth.

"Six hundred nineteen." Jacob is pale, not a tint of tan, and he's a ghost now. "Come on now, it's not that long." I tease and recognize the longing in Emma's eyes. He's just like Abe and I know she prays he won't leave her behind too. "Don't have too much fun without me."

I blow a kiss at Miss Bloom before linking arms with the head mistress who studies how I act around the others. I don't mind, she needs to make sure we're all safe.

|

I watch as Miss Peregrine returns with her head held high and a pained look carefully hidden in her features. A crossbow kept close to her side and a grim smile pasted on her lips.

"Come now dear, lets get inside." It's for the final greeting, one I've been dreading. Olive Elephanta who hid in the safety of Enoch's room all morning.

I count the steps I take, two hundred thirty four, exactly until we reach his doorway. He stiffens, naturally, at my presence and I'm miserable from it.

I'm not sure if I'm more doubtful of me or they are, Enoch and his lap dog.

My own insult surprises me and I swallow the lump in my throat when I extend my hand.

"Katerina Blair, I'm so very happy to meet you." Her red hair is straight and shiny and I remind myself to comb mine more often.